Leche Flan Cake (Custard Cake)

Since I started baking I am in quest for recipes of my favorite childhood treats and I try to re-create them at home for my children, especially since some of them are not readily available now. This flan cake is one of them.

I remember tugging at my mother’s skirt whenever we passed by a bakery, I would beg her to go and see if they have my favorite cake with leche flan, not every bakery in our town has it.

leche_flan_cake_with_macapuno_3

I would nibble at it little by little from the bottom up, I always saved the best for last- the flan topping with just a little of chiffon cake left, that’s the best- then I would just finish it in a bite or two..yummm!

It’s been years since I’ve had it. I attempted to make it a couple of years back, it was a disaster! My flan didn’t set, the cake was still soft inside, it looked gross when I tried to invert it on a platter, not appetizing. It happened, I realized now, because I did not follow the recipe to the letter (not good when you’re a novice baker), I did not use baine marie (setting a baking pan in a larger pan half-filled with hot water), a cooking techinique that is very important in baking custard or egg-based desserts ( it’s called banyo maria in Tagalog). I did not try the recipe again.. until last weekend.

leche_flan_custard_cake_batter

ready for the oven

I feel alot more confident now with my baking skill and as I have hoped, my leche flan cake was a success! I did make some blunders but no real harm was done; I just overbaked it a little and I forgot to put the macapuno that’s supposed to go with the caramel, I just added it at the end as garnish.

leche_flan_custard_cake
fresh out of the oven, it looks good except for a little indentation on the surface, so I covered it with sweetened macapuno

The recipe below yields two 9×9 cake, it’s too much for me and my family so I did only half of the recipe. It’s called Custard Cake with Macapuno it’s quite easy for seasoned baker and very doable for beginners, just remember to follow instructions to the letter. ;)

leche_flan_cake_with_macapuno
…into the serving platter

This recipe is from a flour company,my husband just randomly picked up this book – Maya Kitchen, The Complete Guide To Baking- from a bookstore years before. I’ve done a lot of my early baking through this and most of them were a (edible) failure not because their recipes aren’t good, I just wasn’t ready for it.

I’ve re-acquainted myself with it, I tried a couple of recipes that I failed before and now it came out really good. This was one of them.

CUSTARD CAKE WITH MACAPUNO
recipe from “The Best of Maya Kitchen”

Caramel:
1 cup sugar
1 cup sweetened macapuno ( I forgot to put this on mine and just used it as a garnish, it works too!)

Custard/ Flan:

6 egg yolks
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugr

Here’s How:

Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

Caramelize sugar in two 9-inch square pans. Arrange sweetened macapuno over it. Set aside.

Combine the ingredients for the custard in a bowl, stir to blend. Divide the mixture into two then pur into pans while passing through a strainer. Set aside.

Prepare Cake: Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well at the center then add oil, eggyolks and water. Mix with a wire whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, beat eggwhites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.

Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Divide batter into two then pour over custard. Do not stir. Place each baking pan in a larger pan half-filled with water.

Bake for 1 hour or until done. Invert on a serving plattter.

Serves 16-20 per cake

Happy Baking!

Olive

16 Responses to "Leche Flan Cake (Custard Cake)"

1. celi   July 13, 2012 at 6:50 am

i dont have cream of tartar, can i ommit this ingredient? i wanna bake this now…:D

• Olive   July 15, 2012 at 6:48 am

Hi Celi! :)

Yes, using really fresh eggs and a clean, grease-free bowl and beater/whisk plus a pinch of salt to the egg whites before beating them will give you success every time with or without cream of tartar. ΓΌ

Btw, cream of tartar is used to stabilize the egg whites.

2. ed rush   December 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm

We enjoyed this, thanks.

3. jo   April 26, 2010 at 6:42 am

Hi Olive,
    I remember this cake from years ago back home in Manila. I just wanted to confirm that the flour amount of 3 1/4 cp is correct. Also, have you ever made this in a 9×13″ pan ?

thanks and best wishes

• Olive   April 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

Hi Jo :)

sorry for the late reply.. yes, 3 1/4 cups of flour…the recipe makes 2 square cakes. I have not tried it in a 9×13, the batter will overflow I’m afraid.. I usually just halved the recipe when I make this.

..thank you too and have a nice day…I hope your flan cake will turn out perfect!! :)

4. Divina   March 21, 2010 at 1:15 am

I think this is better the the Maya Kitchen cookbook. I have that cookbook too but I have no idea whose is it. :) Hope you’ll join the bazaar again. :) Leche flan is one of my favorite desserts. I think you noticed I like everything. hehe.

• Olive   March 22, 2010 at 6:40 am

thanks Divine, you have a Maya Kitchen cookbook too, that’s nice ..it’s my first baking book, I have tried most of the simple recipes in it and learned a lot in the process.
      >>about the bazaar..no plans yet :)

5. Leanne   March 18, 2010 at 2:07 am

Hi Olive,

I’m about to make my first attempt on making a lecheflan cake and I just want reassurance that the raw cake batter will not mix with the leche flan mixture. So I just want to know that the batter will not mix and become this one whole big mess ?

6. pigpigscorner   August 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Love the layers! Wonderful flavours and textures!

7. Maureen Jeanson   July 31, 2009 at 6:05 am

This looks like perfection in a sugar-flour medium YUMMY!!!!

8. Joanne   July 30, 2009 at 10:26 am

That looks fantastic. Great photo! You can almost taste it by just looking and that probably will save on a lot of calories! Yum.

9. Rachel 'Tha Pizza Cutta' Joyce   July 30, 2009 at 8:28 am

Incredible execution and it looks heavenly!

10. Maggie   July 29, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Ooo this looks delicious! Great combo: flan + cake + dulce de leche!

• Olive   July 30, 2009 at 12:02 am

Hi Maggie,

it is delicious.. it doesn’t have any dulce de leche in it though, just the flan and cake :)

11. Joyce   July 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm

WOW, u know i’m salivating now…since i recently have an addiction with dulce de leche..and still am obsessed with it! :D

• Olive   July 29, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hi Joyce :)

I’ve been over to your blog and I love that coffee caramel cake of yours :)