Dulce de Leche Candies (Yema)

This creamy, milky candy has always been my favorite since childhood.
I was so addicted to it, whenever I have extra money, I would ran to the store and buy it.

This is a simpler version of yema balls. It’s cooked condensed milk, sometime with ground peanuts added. This is also more commonly found here in the Philippines wrapped in plastic in so many different bright colors, the most common of which is golden yellow. Dulce de leche candies or yema is easy to make too; wish I had known this when I first tried making it.

I was about 12 when I decided to make my own instead of spending my school money on yema. Someone told me: you simply open a can of condensed milk and cook it on a pan so I tried making it but my yema was hard and sticky at the same time and most of it got stuck in the pan.

I tried once or twice more hoping I would get it right eventually but to no avail. Finally, I got tired of scraping the pan and licking my yema from the spoon and went back to buying it from the store which was much, much easier.

But several years back I tried making this again and found out that the trick is to add egg yolk/s to condensed milk to make the consistency like the ones sold in stores. Some even add butter but I find that egg yolk is enough at least in my experience.

I’d like to keep these in a jar for my kids and of course me to have anytime.

RECIPE FOR YEMA (DULCE DE LECHE CANDIES)

You will need:
a can of sweetened condensed milk
an egg yolk
2 tablespoons -1/3 cup peanuts, roasted and ground, optional (the amount depends on how much you like peanuts; don’t add it at all if you don’t like it )

Here’s how:

how_to_make_yema_or_dulce_de_leche_candy_1 how_to_make_yema_or_dulce_de_leche_candy how_to_make_yema_or_dulce_de_leche_candy_3

Put condensed milk and egg yolk together in a non-stick pan or pot, cook over medium heat with constant stirring until thick; add peanuts and cook for a few minutes more or until it is nicely browned. Take the pan off of the heat and let stand until the yema (dulce de leche) cools to the touch. Wrap about a teaspoon-tablespoon each in plastic wrap.

Here’s how to wrap the yema (I‘m not that good, but just to give you an idea)

how_to_wrap_yema_or_dulce_de_leche_candy yema_dulce_de_leche_candy yema_dulce_de_leche_candy_1

Cut a small square of plastic (about 3×3 inches, the size depends on how big or small you want your candy) put a small amount of yema/dulce de leche in the center; bring opposite corners together and press to form mini triangles. Make sure that the seams or sides are sealed.

Store these in a jar at room temperature. I’m not sure for how long these keep but I have been told it’s good for about two weeks; I can’t guarantee that though, because these yummies don’t last that long in our house.

Thanks for reading, Have a nice day! :)

Olive

Dulce De Leche on Foodista

11 Responses to "Dulce de Leche Candies (Yema)"

1. shelle   April 23, 2010 at 12:02 am

Hi, do you have any idea as to how i can make the yema’s shelf span longer? I intend to make it as give-aways but i’m afraid it won’t last long.
    Thanks

• Olive   April 23, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Hi Shelle :)

In my experience, it’s still good a week after it’s made kept in a jar at room temp. I wish I could tell you exactly how long it’ll keep but to be sure that your friends will receive it fresh, make it a day or two before the event. Hope that helps :)

2. ellie   January 26, 2010 at 12:16 am

is the egg yolk in the recipe to make the yema creamier and silkier in texture? I am looking for a recipe that is not the cakey yema or the hard one. I like the melty creamy yema. Is this like that? Thanks!!!

• Olive   January 26, 2010 at 8:34 am

Hi Ellie!

yes, I think the egg yolk makes it more silky and creamy, I have made yema before without the any yolks and it’s just not the same..
      In my own experience ( not that I’m an expert on this), if you want a creamy yema, just reduce the cooking time, the longer you cook it the more dough-y it gets.. I hope that helps..thank you so much for visiting :)

3. Chili   October 11, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I love this candy it looks yummy. Thanks Olive for the recipe!

4. Sophie   October 4, 2009 at 6:56 am

these are also lovely as a food gift for christmas!! MMMMMMM,…easy!!

5. Syrie   October 3, 2009 at 8:24 pm

How absolutely delectable. I love dulce de leche. It’s my favourite ice-cream flavour.

6. Southern Grace Gourmet   October 3, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Looks very good and simple!

7. MaryMoh   October 3, 2009 at 11:37 am

Olive, I can imagine how tasty it is because I love condensed milk. To cook it will be even more addictive I believe. Lovely candy.

• Olive   October 3, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Mary, yes, it can be quite addictive, but I guess it’s okay because it’s made of milk, I allow my kids to have as many of these as they like :)
      Syrie and Angela (SouthernGraceGourmet), Thanks!:)
      Angie, thanks a lot! Now I can make that Jiao Zi :)

8. Angie@Angie's Recipes   October 3, 2009 at 9:54 am

I always wanted to make those candy, esp. love their chewy texture, wonderful to pack them as a birthday gift or to bring them to a tea party.

p.s. Here are the Jiaozi links