Embutido (Filipino Meatloaf)

This is one of my favorite Noche Buena food.  My mother seldom makes this for Christmas because we usually receive it as gift along with ham and fruitcakes.   But you need not wait for someone to give you this, it’s very simple to make, just mix everything together in a bowl, roll it into a log on a sheet of aluminum foil and steam.  You can also make this ahead of time, you can store the steamed embutido in the freezer.

Here’s a recipe for embutido, you may add more or less of any ingredients listed..I like to add lots of cheese with mine : o
embutido_2
combine everything in a bowl, mix, mix..

embutido_1
put half of the mixture on a sheet of aluminum wrap..make sure you’re using a sturdy brand or use two sheets; roll meat mixture in a tight log and gently twist and fold ends

embutido_3
steam..cool and cut into slices…yum!

EMBUTIDO

500 grams ground pork
small jar of pickle relish or (about 1/2 cup)
200 grams bacon, cut into small pieces or minced
1/3 cup raisins
3 eggs
1/2 cup cheese, grated or diced
salt and pepper to taste

Here’s how:

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, divide the mixture into 2 and roll tightly into a log on a sheet of aluminum foil; fold ends.

Boil water in a steamer and steam embutido for 40 minutes or until the mixture set. Cool completely before peeling the aluminum foil off.
I remember it’s usually served with ketchup as dipping sauce, I don’t do it, I just eat it plain..it’s already yummy by itself :)

Thanks for reading..Have a very merry Christmas! :)

10 Responses to "Embutido (Filipino Meatloaf)"

1. Aubrey   November 20, 2011 at 5:09 am

Hi there! I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and looking forward to new updates.

2. Ram   October 1, 2010 at 1:12 pm

I remember my mom makes embutido all the time especially when there’s a special occasion to celebrate. Your embutido looks yummy. What kind of cheese do you normally add in your embutido? Thanks.

• Olive   October 2, 2010 at 9:22 am

just the regular processed cheddar cheese :)

3. Pingback: KCC: Filipino-Spanish Dishes: Pork Estofada | Latest Recipes

4. alberto dela cruz   January 18, 2010 at 8:21 am

thanks for the recipe,,,,more power to your cooking club..

5. Trissa   December 21, 2009 at 4:28 am

OMG – your embutido recipe looks so good. We used to eat this after Christmas – the leftovers from Noche Buena in a sandwhich… YUM!

6. chef_d   December 20, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Wow, looks really good…I will try this out for the holidays :)

7. Jeannie   December 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Now this is an entirely different story! Love meatloaves! I am a meat eating person through and through LOL! Err…what are pickled relish? Is it the pickled cucumbers that we can find in Macdonald’s burgers?

8. peachkins   December 20, 2009 at 4:43 am

Yummy embotido! I’ve never tried bacon in my embotido but I can imagine the flavor that it will this already tasty dish! Super Yummy! Merry Christmas!

9. anncoo   December 20, 2009 at 3:28 am

Sounds delicious and thanks for sharing this recipe.