Black Chicken Soup

This recipe is from a classmate in college, Cristina Kho, she posts photos of delicious food she cooks for her family in FB. I  was intrigued by this dish, it was the first time I actually heard of it and I was curious to find out what it taste like so I asked her if she could give me a recipe for it and she was gracious enough to give it to me plus a permission to post it here too..yay!.

This is a very simple dish with only a few ingredients, chicken, some noodles and sibut/sibot.  Cristina told me when I asked her what a sibut is, that  it was  Chinese medicinal herbs, she said it’s commonly used in Chinese restaurants, she advised me to smell it first before to see if I will like it as it has a very strong scent. I let my husband decide.. he liked it, I liked it too so I bought two packets and tried it.

This soup  originated in China and is traditionally made with black chicken (hence the name), simmered for a long time until it is tender; black chicken meat is tougher than that of regular chicken but it’s said to have medicinal properties.  This soup is actually a tonic that invigorates both mind and body and helps in faster healing and recuperation from any illnesses.

Black chicken is not common here in the Philippines, in fact  I haven’t seen  black chicken being sold in the market anywhere in my whole life..ever, at least not where I live now or used to live before but then again, I don’t go out much or go to wet markets, there may be some black chickens available, I’m just not aware of  it.   I wonder what it tastes like….

black_chicken_soup_7
my first black chicken soup  :).

The recipe that Tin gave me is pretty simple, very easy in fact:  Just boil a pack of sibot in a pot of water, add the chicken pieces, season it and add miswa (optional) and voila..yummy, invigorating soup. I did exactly that, I used about a kilo of chicken for a pack of sibut and I was happy with the result even though I think I may have added too much water (8 cups..oops) so I made it again ..but this time, I decided to saute the chicken pieces first, like what I do with another fave chicken soup, tinola, it makes it more flavorful that way in my opinion and I also added onion, ginger, carrots, bihon instead of miswa ( I used vermicelli the first time) and parsley, and added much less water of course. :)

sibot

Here’s what a pack of sibot contains: wolfberries, and…err, I don’t know what the other herbs are called..lol  I this is the first packet  that I tried

black_chicken_soup_spices_sibot

and here’s the second one, a different brand..this one has more wolfberries

Here’s how I cooked Black Chicken Soup ( the second time):

black_chicken_soup_1
I sauteed the chicken  first until it’s lightly browned..pretty crowded eh?!

black_chicken_soup_4

I added the onion, ginger, sibot, carrots and about 5 cups of water..boil and reduce heat to simmer.
black_chicken_soup_3
..add parsley last, then season to taste..

black_chicken_soup1
..and serve, garnish with more parsley

BLACK CHICKEN SOUP (Sibot/Sibut Soup)
recipe courtesy of Cristina Kho-Wong

Ingredients:
bone-in chicken pieces ( I used  about a kilo – 4 thighs and 3 legs)
1 pack sibot
salt and pepper to taste
miswa; I used bihon and sotanghon (vermicelli)

optional ingredients: ( my twist on the recipe)
1 red medium red onion, quartered
1 knob ginger root, peeled and crushed ( to release flavor)
1 medium carrot, sliced into chunks
patis (fish sauce)
parsley, flat leaf or curly
EVOO ( extra-virgin olive oil) for sauteeing

Tin’s Directions:
Boil water in a soup pot, then add the pack of sibut, after 5-10 mins, add the chicken, wait for chicken to soften then add salt and pepper to taste. As easy as 123.. when the chicken soup is cooked, you may want to add cooked misua in the soup.

note:  I par-boiled the chicken first for a clearer soup, I learned this when I did the Pho Ga challenge for the Daring Cooks – Olive :)

Another way to cook  Black Chicken Soup: ( my twist)

Heat a tablespoon of EVOO in a pot and saute chticken pieces, season with a little salt and pepper, cook until lightly browned.  Add ginger and onion, cook for about a minute then add about 5 cups of water.  Bring to a boil then add one packet of sibut and carrots.  Simmer for about half an hour, season with fish sauce ( optional) , salt and pepper to taste.  Add a bunch of parsley leaves towards the end, cover the pot and turn off the heat to cook the parsley (about a minute).  Serve, garnish with more parsley if you want.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!! ♥  :)

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

22 Responses to "Black Chicken Soup"

1. ogz   May 2, 2011 at 3:21 am

oh where are you located ?… black chicken is easy to find… go where the local chinese go, you can find it for sure. And for the sibot, the one will wolfberries (goji) is better, as it leaves the natural sweetness of aftertaste in your mouth, sibot is available in grocery stores and downtown. Take note…never eat fruits, vegetables, seafoods, and cold drinks…these contradicts in boosting your immune system.

2. arlene   April 14, 2011 at 9:14 pm

black chicken is also available at suki market…. it is located at mayon st. near welcome rotonda, QC

• Olive   April 15, 2011 at 12:27 am

Thanks for that info Arlene! :)

3. Wen   December 6, 2010 at 11:40 am

you can buy the black chicken (Silkie) in Aranque market… the herbs are thought to be quite nutritious and is supposed to be eaten the whole day to be effective, meaning, you cannot eat any other food aside from it… since the ‘sibut’ or four-herb can be bought at the chinese drugstore, you might want to ask the owner as to how much needs to be used if there are kids who would want to eat it or if there are elderly people with ailments who would want to eat it… it might be too nutritious for them.

• Olive   December 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm

thanks for the info, Wen :) I’ll look for that black chicken when I get a chance to go to Aranque..

4. anne   June 10, 2010 at 7:57 pm

black chicken is available in Arranque, that’s a big market in downtown Manila. :) You can get other Chinese ingredients there.

• Olive   June 11, 2010 at 4:16 am

Thanks for the tip, Anne.. it’s too far from our place but I will check it out when I get a chance :)

5. Pingback: My Perfect Meal: A Tasting Menu from LatestRecipes.net | Eatnlisten.com

6. Chris   April 24, 2010 at 5:52 am

Looks lovely. I especially like the fact that you used chicken with bones and not a boneless chicken breast. I can only imagine the wonderful flavours.

happy cooking

chris

7. Brad   March 31, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Very intersting, sounds invigorating.

8. love2cook   March 29, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hi Olive, thanks for dropping by my space! Black Chicken Soup looks so yummy…slurrrppppp! ;)

9. Joanne   March 29, 2010 at 3:57 am

Excellent and interesting take on chicken soup. Nice to have for a change of pace!

10. XiaoYen   March 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Black chicken is very nutritious and is even better when cooked with Chinese herbs. We have black chickens here in San Francisco. I don’t make this soup often because it’s too potent for my kids but definitely a wonderful soup for adults.

11. tasteofbeirut   March 27, 2010 at 8:38 pm

How interesting! I make chicken soup frequently but this next time I may stop in Chinatown and scout some of these exotic herbs and spices you used for your black chicken!

12. Pam   March 27, 2010 at 7:23 pm

hi olive!

this recipe brings back memories of my childhood.. i remember my papa used to put si bot in chicken soups because of its health nutrients daw.

13. MaryMoh   March 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Mmmm….love this dish. We used to eat a lot of black chicken when we were young. My mom said they are more nutritious. We always cook it with Chinese herbs too, something similar like your dish here…..delicious! You brought back lots of my sweet childhood memories :D

14. theUngourmet   March 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

Your soup looks wonderful! That sibot is really wild! I’m going to have to see if I can find it around here.

15. kristy   March 27, 2010 at 9:21 am

‘Black chicken soup’! Is this the one we call it ‘bak kut teh’? A very strong flavour & fragrant Chinese herbal soup! That is a fantastic soup and yet yours look wonderful as well. Btw, I have an award for you, Olive. Please feel free to stop by my blog to collect the button. Thanks!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

16. Pingback: Black Chicken Soup | Latest Recipes | ClubEvoo

17. Belle@OohLook   March 27, 2010 at 6:14 am

That is a wicked soup (in a good way)! I’m sort of glad you couldn’t find a black chicken as I’m not sure they are the prettiest things :)

18. Sophie   March 27, 2010 at 4:29 am

Waw, what an apart & fab looking chicken soup!! So many strange flavours for me, but the soup looks so luscious!

19. Jeannie   March 27, 2010 at 1:04 am

wow! that’s a very nutritious soup! I like it too.