These bread rolls are not that easy to make but putting the faces on these rolls are so much fun, I let the kids do the rest after showing them how to do it…they ate it so quickly too, they can’t even wait for me to finish taking some photos to share here..lol
The recipe makes 63 mini rolls..that’s a lot of forming and shaping so you have to be very fast in doing so because the rest of the dough will rise while you’re working. I did this recipe 3 times already and I still can’t keep up with the dough rising so what I did the last time I made these was to divide the dough. I only made 31 chocolate faces and the rest I just roll like these. Works for me 🙂 .
I let the kids draw the faces on using leftover chocolate ganache instead of melted chocolate chips..waste not, want not 🙂
awww..why the sad face? “..someone forgot to take us out of the oven on time“. ..lol ( My 5 year-old son did these)
..divide the dough into 64 pieces. Flatten each part into a circle and put some chocolate chips in the center..
..gather up the sides then roll and shape into a ball..
you do only 63 balls; you save one piece of dough and divide for the “nose”
..then you bake ’em and draw faces on ’em. Please don’t leave them too long in the oven like I did..lol
..”hey, look at me..I’m so much darker but I’m not complaining ..we’re all gonna be eaten up in just a few seconds anyways..C’est la vie! ” lol I’m crazy hahaha 😀
- 3½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk powder
- ½ cup butter or ¼ cup oil
- 1 cup water
- mini chocolate chips (each face take about 6 pieces)
- One egg yolk + 2 tablespoon milk + 1 teaspoon vanilla
- melted chocolate chips to draw the eyes and mouth .
- Make the dough by mixing all the ingredients. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead it until the dough is smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down and divide into 64 equal pieces. Reserve one piece for the nose. Flatten each one with your hand and fill it with some chocolate chips. Gather the sides to close the dough and shape it to a nice round ball.
- Place it in a baking sheet, brush with the glaze. Take the reserved dough and divide it into 63 pieces for the nose; shape each piece into little balls then put on top of each glazed dough balls.
- Let dough balls/faces rise for about 30 minutes then bake in a preheated 350F degrees oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes before drawing on the eyes and mouth. Serve immediately, while the chocolate is still soft inside..mmm yumm!!