This is my first time to make this dish and quite surprise that it’s easy to make considering how delicious it is- hot and spicy-delicious!! I’ve added this to my favorites. ü This will be included in the simple Chinese New Year dinner that I’m planning – we’re not really Chinese, I just want to join in the fun of welcoming the new Lunar year, there’s no harm in that…
just good food and good karma and good luck-lots of it, I hope!. 😀
Fish in Szechuan Sauce:
after frying the fish, saute the ginger, garlic and chili and scallions in the same pan,
add the chili-garlic sauce, hot sauce and the slurry [broth +cornstarch] and simmer. I used beer and water to sub for the broth..rather than just plain water- that explains why my sauce is too bubbly. ^-^
put the fried fish back in to braise – you may use fish fillet, too. But whole fish for Chinese New Year’s supposed to bring prosperity/abundance or good luck..not really sure what but they’re all good so bring it on! 🙂
Serve immediately while the sauce is still hot.. nom.nom.nom.
The kids couldn’t handle this so I’m going to tame it a little for them next time and make an extra sauce with more chilli flakes and hot sauce (to make it scorching hot) just for me and my husband; that will make everyone happy! 😀
- 1 whole fish (or fish fillet), cleaned and washed
- lemon or calamansi juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- scallions/ green onion, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons red chilli pepper flakes
- ½ cup chicken stock (or water)
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Heat a frying pan (big enough to fit the fish) and add vegetable oil.
- Pour lemon or calamansi juice over the fish and rub to get rid of the fishy smell. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Fry seasoned fish in the preheated cooking oil in a pan until brown and crispy on both sides. Transfer to a platter with a paper towel to drain excess oil. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, discard oil from fying the fish; pour about about a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of sesame oil in the pan.
- Saute ginger, garlic, onion, chilli flakes for about a minute; add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, hot sauce and sugar in a pan and bring to simmer.
- Combine broth and cornstarch in small bowl; stir to dissolve cornstarch, add into the pan to thicken the sauce.
- Bring to simmer again and let cook for another minute; adjust consistency of the sauce by adding more water for thinner sauce or by letting it simmer for a few more minutes to thicken or add more slurry ( water-cornstarch mixture).
♥ Have a nice day! God Bless! 🙂 ♥