This is a quick and easy recipe, you can whip it up in a few minutes, pop it in the oven and in half an hour you’ll have delicious cake ready for dessert or afternoon snack for your family…and there’s more: If you will notice, this is not a regular chocolate cake, I used whole wheat flour and bananas plus some chia seeds which makes it better nutritionally. 😉
The recipe only makes an 8-inch square cake, perfect for a small family like mine to enjoy over the weekend.
Happy Baking!! ü
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Dutch cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds (optional)
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ¼ cup fresh milk
- ¼ cup canola or corn oil
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ hot water
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, grated or finely chopped
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon coffee powder (optional)
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and chia seeds if using. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, mashed bananas, water, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir, or whisk, until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cooled, frost with ganache.
- Ganache: Put grated chocolate and coffee powder if using in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat cream in a saucepan just until it begins to boil, immediately pour heated cream to the chocolate. Stir until smooth. Cool a bit then pour on top of cooled cake.