This is one of my favorite dishes because ..well, just look at that melted cheese on top of the chicken fillet and that spaghetti with my favorite simple marinara sauce. Melted cheese and tomato sauce together=YUM!
I remember the first time I tried making chicken parmesan, see it here. Lol. The photo. Okay, while that recipe is good; I’m using a different recipe now for my chicken parmigiana which is what I prefer because I don’t have to use my oven for this plus I just used seasoned flour for the chicken.
Okay, this may not seem easy to make for the first time BUT if you read the recipe several times before actually making it, you’ll have a good picture in your head of how it’s done and you can plan ahead. Trust me, it will get easier once you have the whole process in mind..that’s my trick whenever I’m trying out new recipes.
This dish will get a whole lot quicker if you make the sauce ahead of time..even a week earlier, just keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. Now, if you don’t have the time, you can of course, just buy ready-made spaghetti sauce in a jar. Just choose the best one 🙂
Another tip: you may use thigh fillet, you don’t have to flatten because they’re not that thick, it will cook quickly; it’s what I do when I don’t have chicken breast fillet in the freezer.
- 4-5 pcs chicken breast fillet
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 10-12 ounces spaghetti
- 4-5 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
- For the Marinara sauce:
- 1 can (411g) diced tomatoes
- 1 small can (170g) tomato paste
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ground dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano powder
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To make the sauce: Heat olive oil in a saucepan, when oil is hot add minced garlic, onion and celery- if using. Pour in diced tomatoes; stir then add tomato paste. Add water, about 1½ cans using can of diced tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil on high heat then the heat/fire to lowest and let sauce simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. When cooked, add marinara sauce; set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- On a platter, put flour and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat pan on medium high heat; add olive oil when pan is hot.
- Using a small kitchen mallet, pound chicken breast until it is flat and thin.
- Dredge chicken breast fillet in the seasoned flour and pan-fry until browned; flip and cook the other side.
- Take off the pan and cook the rest of the chicken.
- Return chicken in the pan, spead about 1-2 tablespoons marinara sauce on top and add grated mozzarella cheese then cover pan with lid for a minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Put chicken on top of the spaghetti and serve with garlic bread. Enjoy!!