Christmas is coming in less than 3 weeks. If you are planning to give something really special as gifts to your friends, why not home baked cookies- Red Velvet Cookies. They are very easy to make and it will be very much more appreciated if they know that you baked it yourself. If you have the time, why not? :)
Or just make a batch for your family on a weekend..your kids will surely love the cookies and treasure the memories. :)
You can try putting candy sprinkles on the sides right after you take the cookies out of the oven (to make the sprinkle adhere to the cookies) and they’ll look like Christmas wreath :)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 Tablespoons fresh milk
- white chocolate candy disk for decoration (optional)you may use chocolate chips instead
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease with baking spray or butter. set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt & cocoa powder, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar & brown sugar until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add in egg and vanilla. Mix until fully incorporated. Add in red food coloring and mix until evenly distributed and mixture is red (add more food coloring if needed). Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and with the mixer on low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture, beating until just incorporated. Add in the tbsp. of milk (or more if needed) and mix to combine. note:* you may add chocolate chips at this stage if you like, white, chocolate or mint (green) chocolate chips (about 1 cup)-your choice.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough onto the baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and put one white chocolate candy disk in the center of each cookie. You must do this while the cookies are fresh out of the oven- still warm and soft to embed the candy disk.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
This recipe was adapted from here. Thank you. :)