When this galette first appeared on my FB newsfeed, I was instantly attracted to it. I immediately saved the link to the recipe and screenshot it so I’ll have a reminder to try it the soonest possible. It’s just so pretty and rustic and no doubt, delicious. I know a keeper when I see one and this is one of them, without even trying it first, I just know.
I read the recipe and already have a picture in my mind of how I will tweak it because I plan to use frozen blueberries which I unfortunately don’t have enough of BUT I have a yet unopened pack of frozen mixed berries..I think it would work too. I can almost see how nice it would look and can actually taste it. Yum.
And so I did make it with much success. Yay!
It looks good and tastes…hmmm well, it needs more sugar, just a bit more to make it perfectly delicious for my taste. A scoop of vanilla ice cream easily solves this problem, though. No biggie. It’s still a winner and I will definitely make this again for sure.
Here’s the recipe if you want to try it too. I already added that extra sugar in the recipe, the original has 1/3 cup.
Happy Baking! God Bless 🙂
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- For the filling:
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 8 -ounce package cream cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten, plus 1 egg yolk
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Make the dough: Pulse the flour, granulated sugar, vinegar and salt in a food processor until combined. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-size pieces of butter. Whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons water; add to the food processor and pulse until a dough just starts to form. Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap; shape into a disk, wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out the dough into a 12-inch round between 2 sheets of floured parchment paper. Remove the top piece of parchment and invert the dough onto the prepared baking sheet; remove the other piece of parchment. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Make the filling: Toss the frozen mixed berries, ½ cup granulated sugar, the lemon juice, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Whisk the cream cheese, egg yolk, the remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and the nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with the blueberries. Fold the edge of the dough over the filling. Drizzle the remaining cream cheese mixture over the berries; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake the galette until the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.
- Enjoy!! 🙂