I like my food hot and spicy so I thought why not my cake, too?! 🙂
Make it today or anytime. No need for special occasion to have a delicious, home made cake to share with your loved ones and friends.
Chili Chocolate Cake
Recipe type: Baking, Cake
A wicked twist to my favorite chocolate cake 🙂
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 225 ounces salted butter, softened and chopped, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 3 red bird's-eye chillies, finely chopped
- 6 medium eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 5 tbsp ground almonds or plain flour
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder (optional or use less if you're scared lol)
- cocoa powder, to serve
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup cream
- Whipped Cream Topping:
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Heat oven to 375ºF
- Grease an 8 ½ (22cm) springform cake tin with soft butter and line the bottom with baking parchment. Shake a little flour around the buttered edges.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over a pan of simmering water, or in a microwave.
- Whisk the eggs with the brown sugar and caster sugar, either in an electric mixer or with an electric hand whisk, for 5-10 mins until thick and pale.
- Pour the chocolate mixture onto the beaten eggs and sugar, and gently mix until smooth. Add the almonds (if using) and flour and mix again.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 mins until the cake is set but with a slight jiggle in the centre. (If the cake is starting to brown too quickly, cover with a piece of aluminum foil
- Leave to cool in the tin – it will sink a little as it cools. Run a knife around the inside of the cake tin to loosen. Remove the baking parchment and place on a cake stand.
- Heat cream in a heavy-bottomed pan, turn off heat and add chocolate pieces.
- Whipped Cream ;
- Whisk the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Serve on the side or spoon on top of the cake dusted with a little cocoa powder.