Once in awhile I like to serve my family something different from our usual rice and meat dishes to keep meal time exciting. Okay, that’s partly true. I do this sometimes when I want to put my family on a “diet” (mainly my husband who likes to stuff himself with rice like he’s still in his teenage years LOL). I keep telling him to go easy on carbs because his metabolism is not the same as before when he was a lot younger and he doesn’t really do any serious work-outs these days.
So to help keep him within reasonable weight, I once in awhile take the carbs out of a meal. This doesn’t always work, though because the man loves his rice and ulam ( Filipino main dishes/viand i.e adobo, sinigang, menudo, sisig) 😀 I can’t blame him…I love those dishes, too. 🙂
This low-carb dish is one of my experiments when I attempted to try Ketogenic Diet, I failed miserably on keeping up with it. I can’t give up my carbs especially in it’s sweet form–desserts! LOL
Anyway, whether on a diet or not, this dish is good any day.
It could be an appetizer or your main meal paired with grilled meat of your choice.
- Baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 large red onion (shallot)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2-3 green chilies (optional)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- dried parsley flakes for garnishing, optional
- Clean mushroom by wiping it with damp paper towels gently. Remove stem and inner part of the mushroom and chop it about the same size as minced onion, garlic and green chilies.
- Brush mushroom caps with olive oil the season lightly with salt and ground black pepper; set aside.
- Preheat grill over medium high fire/heat.
- Put the chopped mushroom stem, garlic, onion and green chilies in a large bowl; add ricotta cheese, pesto and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Spoon pesto filling into the hollow side of mushroom caps. Top with graded mozarella cheese.
- arrange on the hot grill; cover loosely with aluminum foil. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy:)