I first heard of Tetrazzini from Tyler Florence’s Food 911 show, if you’re not familiar with that, it was a show from the Food Network where Tyler answers a person’s kitchen emergency, he would go to their house personally and rescue their recipes, sort of.
Anyway, there’s this episode where he helped a woman make hearty meals and one of the recipes featured was Turkey Tetrazzini, I was immediately drawn to it, it looked so creamy and filling, it has everything in it, a classic one-dish meal. It has protein from the turkey, fiber from vegetables like mushroom and the carbohydrates come from the egg noodles, and calcium from the milk and cream. This is the sort of dish I’d like to feed my children often.
I put this recipe on my must-try list; I went to the food network site to get a copy of the recipe, I did a search there and got several results including Tyler’s and Giada’s. I really intended to re-create Tyler’s but I’m a big Giada de Laurentiis fan that I cannot help but check out her recipe for a chicken tetrazzini.
After reading and comparing both recipes, I decided I’d do Giada’s because hers is easier to do and besides, Tyler’s recipe calls for 4 pounds of turkey breast tenders, that’s close to 2 kilos whereas Giada’s only asks for 4 pieces of chicken breast fillet, that’s about 1 pound or about 1/2 kilo.
It’s hard to find turkey breast fillet here anyway and another thing, Giada’s recipe uses linguini, it’s hard to find egg noodles pasta here in the Philippines. I remember seeing one before at the aisle of Rustan’s in Rockwell, Makati but when I came to buy some, they don’t have it any more. I was lucky enough, my mom sent me 2- 16lb pack of extra-wide egg noodle pasta and that’s what I used here.
Fresh from the oven….
I made some minor changes in the recipe partly because some ingredients were not available and partly because I want to “healthtify” it, I used less butter than what is called for in the recipe, I only used it in making the sauce and for topping I only used about 2 tablespoon. And since I used canned mushrooms, *I skip paragraph 2 of the recipe. I hope you’re not getting confused. The changes that I made are noted inside the (parentheses ) and italicized.
Here ‘s what it looks like on the inside, I topped it with a little grated cheese…
and here’s the recipe:
recipe courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis
ofFood Network, Inc.
9 tablespoons butter ( I used only about 5 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 pound white mushrooms, sliced ( I used 2 canned champignons or button mushrooms)
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (I replaced it with 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
1/2 cup dry white wine (didn’t use any since I used canned mushrooms)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk, room temperature
1 cup heavy whipping cream, room temperature (I replaced it with a cup of cream of mushroom)
1 cup chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
12 ounces linguine ( I used extra wide egg noodles)
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves ( I didn’t use any)
1 cup grated Parmesan (I used what’s available – processed cheddar)cheese
1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs (I used japanese bread crumbs, I ground it fine)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Spread 1 tablespoon of butter over a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil in a deep large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pan and cook until pale golden and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate to cool slightly. Coarsely shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and into a large bowl.
*Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon each of butter (I did not add any butter here, it seemed unnecessay since I’m using the canned mushroom) and oil to the same pan. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and the mushrooms become pale golden, about 12 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and saute until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until it evaporates, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to the bowl with the chicken.
Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, cream, broth, nutmeg, remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase the heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 10 minutes.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until it is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 9 minutes. Drain. Add the linguine, sauce, peas, and parsley to the chicken mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.
Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes.
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 9 TABLESPOONS BUTTER I USED ONLY ABOUT 5 TABLESPOON
- 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
- 4 BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
- 2 1/4 TEASPOONS SALT
- 1 1/4 TEASPOONS FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 POUND WHITE MUSHROOMS SLICED ( I USED 2 CANNED CHAMPIGNONS OR BUTTON MUSHROOMS)
- 1 LARGE ONION FINELY CHOPPED
- 5 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED
- 1 TABLESPOON CHOPPED FRESH THYME LEAVES I REPLACED IT WITH 1/2 TSP DRIED THYME
- 1/2 CUP DRY WHITE WINE DIDN’T USE ANY SINCE I USED CANNED MUSHROOMS
- 1/3 CUP All-Purpose Flour
- 4 CUPS WHOLE MILK ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 CUP HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM ROOM TEMPERATURE (I REPLACED IT WITH A CUP OF CREAM OF MUSHROOM)
- 1 CUP CHICKEN BROTH
- 1/8 TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- 12 OUNCES LINGUINE I USED EXTRA WIDE EGG NOODLES
- 3/4 CUP FROZEN PEAS
- 1/4 CUP CHOPPED FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY LEAVES I DIDN’T USE ANY
- 1 CUP GRATED PARMESAN I USED WHAT’S AVAILABLE – PROCESSED CHEDDARCHEESE
- 1/4 CUP DRIED ITALIAN-STYLE BREADCRUMBS I USED JAPANESE BREAD CRUMBS, I GROUND IT FINE
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 450 DEGREES F.
- SPREAD 1 TABLESPOON OF BUTTER OVER A 13 BY 9 BY 2-INCH BAKING DISH. MELT 1 TABLESPOON EACH OF BUTTER AND OIL IN A DEEP LARGE NONSTICK FRYING PAN OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT. SPRINKLE THE CHICKEN WITH 1/2 TEASPOON EACH OF SALT AND PEPPER. ADD THE CHICKEN TO THE HOT PAN AND COOK UNTIL PALE GOLDEN AND JUST COOKED THROUGH, ABOUT 4 MINUTES PER SIDE. TRANSFER THE CHICKEN TO A PLATE TO COOL SLIGHTLY. COARSELY SHRED THE CHICKEN INTO BITE-SIZE PIECES AND INTO A LARGE BOWL.
- *MEANWHILE, ADD 1 TABLESPOON EACH OF BUTTER (I DID NOT ADD ANY BUTTER HERE, IT SEEMED UNNECESSAY SINCE I’M USING THE CANNED MUSHROOM) AND OIL TO THE SAME PAN. ADD THE MUSHROOMS AND SAUTE OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT UNTIL THE LIQUID FROM THE MUSHROOMS EVAPORATES AND THE MUSHROOMS BECOME PALE GOLDEN, ABOUT 12 MINUTES.
- ADD THE ONION, GARLIC, AND THYME, AND SAUTE UNTIL THE ONION IS TRANSLUCENT, ABOUT 8 MINUTES. ADD THE WINE AND SIMMER UNTIL IT EVAPORATES, ABOUT 2 MINUTES. TRANSFER THE MUSHROOM MIXTURE TO THE BOWL WITH THE CHICKEN.
- MELT 3 MORE TABLESPOONS BUTTER IN THE SAME PAN OVER MEDIUM-LOW HEAT. ADD THE FLOUR AND WHISK FOR 2 MINUTES. WHISK IN THE MILK, CREAM, BROTH, NUTMEG, REMAINING 1 3/4 TEASPOONS SALT, AND REMAINING 3/4 TEASPOON PEPPER. INCREASE THE HEAT TO HIGH. COVER AND BRING TO A BOIL. SIMMER, UNCOVERED, UNTIL THE SAUCE THICKENS SLIGHTLY, WHISKING OFTEN, ABOUT 10 MINUTES.
- BRING A LARGE POT OF SALTED WATER TO A BOIL. ADD THE LINGUINE AND COOK UNTIL IT IS TENDER BUT STILL FIRM TO THE BITE, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY, ABOUT 9 MINUTES. DRAIN. ADD THE LINGUINE, SAUCE, PEAS, AND PARSLEY TO THE CHICKEN MIXTURE. TOSS UNTIL THE SAUCE COATS THE PASTA AND THE MIXTURE IS WELL BLENDED.
- TRANSFER THE PASTA MIXTURE TO THE PREPARED BAKING DISH. STIR THE CHEESE AND BREADCRUMBS IN A SMALL BOWL TO BLEND. SPRINKLE THE CHEESE MIXTURE OVER THE PASTA. DOT WITH THE REMAINING 3 TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER. BAKE, UNCOVERED, UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN ON TOP AND THE SAUCE BUBBLES, ABOUT 25 MINUTES.