This is one of my favorite Filipino dishes. It’s very easy to make. Promise. My friend who doesn’t normally cook was able to make it and she nailed it the on her first try and now having this on repeat 🙂 I am not surprised though because this is really simple make and super yummy. Forget about your diet of ‘little rice or no rice‘ because you will find that you want more of it with this. ;D
Bagoong (shrimp paste) is very salty and it’s not good for anyone to have too much of it…just like anything else in this world. Just make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day to flush the excess sodium.
I have to confess though that we’ve been having this dish more often and I’m eating way too much rice with this than I want to, I really cannot help it. It’s so satisfying especially with a glass of ice-cold coke to chase it all down. Oh, yuuumm! Life is good.
I know that doesn’t sound so healthy for some of you, hahaha. But it’s not an everyday thing. We do eat our veggies too like with this dish, I made some roasted squash and steamed okra on the side. So good! 🙂
Pork Binagoongan (Pork in Shrimp Paste)
- In a pot, boil pork belly until tender. Take it out of the pot and into a bowl. Set aside.
- Reserve some of the stock.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat, add cooking oil and when it's hot enough, saute garlic, onion then add tomatoes. Add pork cook until browned. Add the green chilies and shrimp paste, cook for about a minute then add stock. Let simmer until pork is tender and oil starts to come out.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- That's it. Done. Make sure your rice is already cooked too. Enjoy 🙂