Chicken+ Cream of Mushroom Soup + Shiitake mushroom equals one fantastic dinner! It’s not a quick dinner recipe but it so super-easy! This is inspired by a seasonal French dish which I found from BBC Good Food, the recipe only has few ingredients -it includes white wine and double cream. I didn’t have white wine (and I also ran out of beer, which is what I usually use as substitute) and I skipped the heavy cream, instead, I used the water from soaking the dried mushroom and condensed cream of mushroom instead of cream — the result is creamy but lighter mushroom sauce… really delicious! I used dried shiitake mushroom (♥), already in slices – very convenient :) but I guess you can use any mushroom that you like.
The photos doesn’t look much (I’m no good at presentation/food styling) but I promise you’re gonna like it…give it a try! :)
sear chicken pieces in a pan
put seared chicken in a pot/saucepan and simmer until tender..add sauteed mushroom and onion
add diluted cream of mushroom..cook for a few more minutes and that’s it!
Mmmmm..very yummy chicken and mushroom dish!! Happy cooking and eating!! :D
- 5-6 pieces bone-in chicken parts ( preferrably thigh parts - lots of flavor there)
- salt and pepper
- 1- ½ cups dried shiitake mushroom slices
- 1 small can (305g) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion, sliced
- olive oil or any cooking oil
- Rinse the dried shiitake mushroom then soak in a bowl of water (about 3 cups). Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan in medium high heat, pour a little oil. Wash and clean chicken pieces; pat dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Raise heat/fire to high and fry chicken until browned then turn to sear the other side. Transfer seared chicken into a saucepan.
- Drain shiitake mushroom (don't throw the water) and squeeze to get the extra water out; set aside ½ cup of soaking liquid. Pour the rest of
- into the pan with seared chicken, make sure there's enough liquid to cover the chicken pieces. Cover and put the saucepan over hight heat and bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer.
- While chicken is simmering, saute the onion (if using) and shiitake mushroom in the same pan that you used for frying the chicken pieces.
- Cook until mushroom is soft and onion is translucent, add about ¼ cup of reserve mushroom-water and bring to a boil while scraping the pan to get the yummy bits at the bottom then add this to the pot of simmering chicken; raise heat/fire to high and bring to a boil again then let simmer over low heat until chicken is tender.
- Add the remaining reserved mushroom-water to dilute cream of mushroom soup and add it to the simmering chicken. Gently stir and bring to a boil again, test the seasoning, adjust if necessary then turn off heat. Serve with rice. Enjoy! :)
♥ Have a nice day!! :) GOD BLESS! ♥