This is a new and improved egg pie recipe.
I tried making this delicious silky egg pie again and I was shocked at the amount of sugar in my old recipe
2 cups of sugar!! I can’t believe that I could tolerate that much sugar before.
Unfortunately, my metabolic rate now is not as high as it was in my younger years.
So, I started by gradually cutting back on sugar a few years ago. I use less sugar in my baking and in my coffee and I use mostly brown sugar.
I also made adjustments in some of the recipes that I love like the recipe for the egg pie that I was using.
After some tweaks and several testing and tasting, I’m happy to share the result. Aside from a few lbs gained from gobbling a lot of egg pies, I now have–
A new and better egg pie recipe.
It is now easier to make and more delicious. It’s worth a try!:)
Start by making the crust. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl; using your fingers or pastry cutter, blend the butter in until it looks like coarse crumbs.
Add cold water, a tablespoon at a time while mixing then form dough into a disc, then put dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest.
Roll the dough into a 10-inch circle and carefully lay on a 9-inch pie plate, fold the edges of the dough over then crimp or pinch using your fingers. Set aside.
Make the egg pie filling by combing sugar, egg yolks and egg and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
Beat the egg mixture using a wire whisk until it is light in color and very frothy.
Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake.
Let the pie cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
Homemade Egg Pie
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
FOR THE CRUST:
MAKE THE CRUST:
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, sugar and salt.
- Mix with a fork or whisk.
- Cut-in the butter to the flour mixture using your fingers or a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water, a tablespoon at a time while stirring with a fork or dinner knife.
- Form dough into a ball and flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in cling wrap and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days
- Dust a work surface with flour.
- Put chilled pie dough in between sheets of parchment paper or cling wrap.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten disk, about 10-inch in diameter.
- Lay pie dough carefully on the prepared pie plate.
- Fold the edges over to make it neat.
- Crimp or pinch using your fingers or press edges with fork to make designs.
- Set aside.
FOR THE EGG PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the filling using your mixer or by hand.
- Put egg yolks, egg, sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a whisk, beat the mixture until very light and frothy.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is evenly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow egg pie to cool completely before slicing.