I love mojo potatoes from Shakey’s and this is my homemade version of it. It’s not an exact recipe, add more or less of the spices and seasonings as you like. I steamed the potatoes to pre-cook it, it make it easier to cut into thin rounds and it’ll only take a short time to fry them; others boil or bake it first and there are some recipes that just use raw potatoes.
These are perfect with breaded fish or fried chicken!
steam the potatoes, cool and cut into thin discs
dip each potato into milk-egg mixture
then dredge it in seasoned flour
and fry until golden brown
- Prepare the steamer. Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Lightly prick with fork and put in the steamer. Steam for 15 minutes.
- Take potatoes out from the steamer and let cool to the touch, then cut each potato into 1/4" rounds.
- Heat oil to 375°F
- Stir together the flour, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate. Beat egg in another bowl, add milk, season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Dip each potato disc into the milk and egg mixture, then dredge thoroughly in the seasoned flour mixture.
- Deep-fry potatoes without overcrowding, until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towels and serve with fried fish or chicken. Enjoy!