This beef stew is really delicious and worth your time trying…
I don’t cook or eat beef often but when I do, I like to cook beef caldereta, it has become my favorite beef dish especially since I learned how to make it myself.
I used to get to eat this only when my mother-in- law cooks it (she pressure-cooks it to make the beef really tender).
I like to use beef cubes in making caldereta because it is lean but you may also use beef short ribs or any part that you prefer.
This Filipino dish is of Spanish influence, a very popular version of this make use of goat meat, popularly known as kalderetang kambing ( I have never tried it..my husband love it though) which is available in specialty restaurants here.
Saute garlic, onion, bell peppers and beef ( I used short ribs here)
Add red wine and tomato paste and water..simmer
Add pitted olives, liver spread, cream and cheese..
Plate..and serve! nom, nom!
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 2 pcs Onions large size / minced
- 1 pc Green Bell Pepper large size / sliced to strips
- 1 pc Red Bell Pepper large size / sliced to strips
- 500 grams Beef cut into cubes
- 1 cup Red Wine or beef broth
- ¼ cup Tomato Paste
- 2 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- ½ cup Green Pitted Olives
- 1 can Liver Spread or ⅓ cup
- ¼ cup Cooking Cream
- ¼ cup Grated Cheese
- 1 tsp Cornstarch mixed with 1-tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat.2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Saute garlic, onion, red and green bell peppers and beef cubes.2 tbsp Garlic, 1 pc Green Bell Pepper, 500 grams Beef
- Season with salt and pepper.Salt, Black Pepper
- Increase heat to high and cook while stirring until beef starts to brown and caramelized.500 grams Beef
- Add red chilli pepper flakes,tomato paste and red wine.¼ cup Tomato Paste, 2 tsp Red Chili Flakes, 1 cup Red Wine
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender.500 grams Beef
- Add olives and liver spread.½ cup Green Pitted Olives, 1 can Liver Spread
- Add slurry (cornstarch-water mixture).1 tsp Cornstarch
- Stir and cook for another minute then add cream and cheese.¼ cup Cooking Cream, ¼ cup Grated Cheese
- Cook for a few seconds more before turning off the heat.500 grams Beef
- Transfer to a platter and serve! Enjoy! 🙂