This beef stew is really delicious and worth your time trying..I don’t cook or eat beef often but when I do, I like to cook beef caldereta, it has become my favorite beef dish especially since I learned how to make it myself. I used to get to eat this only when my mother-in- law cooks it ( she pressure-cooks it to make the beef really tender). I like to use beef cubes in making caldereta because it is lean but you may also use beef short ribs or any part that you prefer.
This Filipino dish is of Spanish influence; a very popular version of this make use of goat meat, popularly known as kalderetang kambing ( I have never tried it..my husband love it though) which is available in specialty restaurants here.
saute garlic, onion, bellpeppers and beef ( I used shortribs here)
add red wine and tomato paste and water..simmer
add pitted olives, liver spread, cream and cheese..
plate..and serve! nom, nom!
serves 4-5 persons
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large onions, minced
1 large green bellpepper, sliced into strips
1 large red bellpepper, sliced into strips
500 g beef cubes
1 cup red wine ( or beef broth )
1/4 cup tomato paste
1-2 teaspoons red chilli flakes
1/2 cup green pitted olives
1 small can ( or 1/3 cup) liver spread
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup grated cheese
1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute garlic, onion, red and green bellpeppers and beef cubes; season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and cook while stirring until beef starts to brown and caramelized; add red chilli pepper flakes,tomato paste and red wine.
Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender. Add olives and liver spread, add slurry ( cornstarch-water mixture), stir and cook for another minute then add cream and cheese, cook for a few seconds more before turning off the heat. Transfer to a platter and serve! Enjoy! 🙂
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
- 2 TABLESPOON MINCED GARLIC
- 2 LARGE ONIONS MINCED
- 1 LARGE GREEN BELLPEPPER SLICED INTO STRIPS
- 1 LARGE RED BELLPEPPER SLICED INTO STRIPS
- 500 G BEEF CUBES
- 1 CUP RED WINE OR BEEF BROTH
- 1/4 CUP TOMATO PASTE
- 1-2 TEASPOONS RED CHILLI FLAKES
- 1/2 CUP GREEN PITTED OLIVES
- 1 SMALL CAN OR 1/3 CUP LIVER SPREAD
- 1/4 CUP CREAM
- 1/4 CUP GRATED CHEESE
- 1 TEASPOON CORNSTARCH MIXED WITH 1 TABLESPOON WATER
- HEAT OLIVE OIL IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT. SAUTE GARLIC, ONION, RED AND GREEN BELLPEPPERS AND BEEF CUBES; SEASON WITH SALT AND PEPPER. INCREASE HEAT TO HIGH AND COOK WHILE STIRRING UNTIL BEEF STARTS TO BROWN AND CARAMELIZED; ADD RED CHILLI PEPPER FLAKES,TOMATO PASTE AND RED WINE.
- BRING TO A BOIL, LOWER HEAT AND SIMMER UNTIL BEEF IS TENDER. ADD OLIVES AND LIVER SPREAD, ADD SLURRY ( CORNSTARCH-WATER MIXTURE), STIR AND COOK FOR ANOTHER MINUTE THEN ADD CREAM AND CHEESE, COOK FOR A FEW SECONDS MORE BEFORE TURNING OFF THE HEAT. TRANSFER TO A PLATTER AND SERVE! ENJOY! 🙂