This simple pasta dish reminds me that Holiday season is just around the corner. It has the colors of Christmas (and also the flag of Italy).
I’ve been making this pasta version of Margherita pizza and Caprese salad for my family for years usually with chicken or tuna or some sausage.
I was using regular mozzarella cheese block before; I’m glad Italian mozzarella has become readily available now, it’s more suited for this dish.
My original post looks really old. LOL. I can’t believe it’s been a decade and two years ago now.
I’ve made this twice already this week because it’s so easy and delicious and quick to prepare.
It’s meatless, so basically no prep work, except for the garlic, garlic press helps a lot and of course the basil needs to be chopped but that’s it.
I like to cook this on high heat, using avocado oil to quickly sauté the garlic and tomatoes then to finish, I drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil. YUM.
Note – Wash/ rinse basil and tomatoes well. I feel like I need to write this reminder for the newbies in the kitchen, like my daughter-sometimes she forgets…just because it looks clean.
Saute garlic and cherry tomatoes
Add the whey (liquid from mozzarella)
Gently squeeze cherry tomatoes using back of wooden spoon to release the juice
Add basil and mozzarella
Then add the cooked spaghetti. Season with salt and pepper
Drizzle with some extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Garlic Spaghetti
- Cook spaghetti al dente according to package direction.10 oz Spaghetti
- While spaghetti is cooking, set a skillet or sauce pan over high heat.
- Add avocado oil and sauté mince garlic, followed quickly by cherry tomatoes.1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- Cook for about a minute then add whey – the liquid from the mozzarella.125 grams Italian Mozzarella
- Using back of wooden spoon, gently squish each cherry tomatoes to release the juices.
- Add about ¼ cup water or white wine if you have some.
- Lower heat to medium and let cook for about a couple of minutes.
- Add the basil and mozzarella.35-50 grams Fresh Basil
- Then add the cooked spaghetti.
- Toss and turn spaghetti using tongs or two wooden spoons to mix.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.Salt, Ground Black Pepper
- Add some pasta water or plain water when needed to loosen consistency.
- Do a taste test and drizzle extra-virgin olive oil before serving.Olive oil