Yang Chow fried rice is practically a meal by itself – it has some meat, veggies and carbs but it’s more satisfying to eat with delectable dishes that one normally orders along with it in a Chinese restaurant.
I don’t really make this often at home, it’s too much work compared to my favorite garlic fried rice but yang chow actually is quite easy, too.
There’s a lot of chopping involve but then again if you have a mini-chopper, it wouldn’t be a problem… the grater’s pretty handy, too, I like to use it for carrots and ginger and onion.
For an easy clean-up in the kitchen, I like to use a big bowl as a temporary trash bowl for the vegetable peelings (I got it from Rachel Ray.. great tip!) if only I can always remember to do it.. 😛
Use left-over ham, pork roast or bbq, chorizos, sausages, Spam and even bacon – whatever you have on hand. 🙂
For beautiful color and some added health benefits, I like to add turmeric powder.
Yang Chow Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Ginger minced / fresh
- Garlic Cloves as much as you like / minced
- 1 Red Onion medium / finely diced
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup Diced Ham or chinese chorizo / or bacon (cooked)
- 3 pcs Eggs beaten
- 4 cups Rice cooked / leftover
- 2 pcs Scallions thinly sliced / spring onions
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- Black Pepper for taste
- Soy Sauce for taste
- Parsley chopped / fresh
- Turmeric Powder
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and when it gets hot, add the oil.1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- Saute the garlic, onion and ginger.Ginger, Garlic Cloves, 1 Red Onion
- Cook about 1 minute.
- Add the bacon (or ham or sausage).1 cup Diced Ham
- Cook stirring constantly until browned.
- Add in the scallions.2 pcs Scallions
- Add the peas1 cup Frozen Peas
- Part the mixture in the pan to make a space in the middle.3 pcs Eggs
- Add the beaten eggs.3 pcs Eggs
- Stir until the eggs are half-cooked.3 pcs Eggs
- Then add the rice.4 cups Rice
- Season with soy sauce, garlic salt and pepper to taste.1 tsp Garlic Salt, Black Pepper
- If using, sprinkle turmeric powder then mix until well-combined and the color is even.Turmeric Powder
- Add some chopped fresh parsley if you have some or more scallions/green onions.2 pcs Scallions, Parsley
- Serve immediately.
♥ Have a nice day..Smile! 🙂 GOD Bless!! ♥