I love curry, prawns and coconut milk. It’s all in this dish and it’s fairly easy to make even for beginner cooks.
Well, the “difficult” part here is deveining the prawns and chopping the garlic, onions and ginger but if you have a chopper or mini food processor, that shouldn’t be a problem.
I use frozen prawns or shrimp, already shelled with the tail on. I hope to find already deveined prawns which will make it even easier to cook this dish.
But I guess the quality will be somewhat compromised because it would mean more handling and longer time out of the water to the freezer.
I prefer curry paste than the curry powder. I have red, green, yellow and other varieties and I love them all!
Once you’re done with the prep work, this delicious red curry prawns can be cooked in less than 10 minutes on high heat.
So, let’s start. 😊
We like this with steamed rice and with a cold glass of coke after. 😊
Devein and wash prawns and put in a bowl. Add minced garlic, ginger, salt and ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, malunggay flakes (optional), soju or mountain dew.
Toss gently to mix then set aside to marinate for 15 mins.
Heat saute pan over high heat. Add coconut oil, when oil is already hot, add the prawn.
Add 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste and mix.
Pour in coconut milk. Let simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
Add green chilis if using then cook for a couple more minutes.
Transfer red curry prawns to a serving dish and serve while it’s hot with steamed rice.
Red Curry Prawns
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 lb Prawns fresh or frozen (thawed)
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ⅛ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 knob Ginger 1 inch knob / grated
- Malunggay Flakes
- 4 pcs Green Chilis (optional)
- Red Chili Flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp Soju or white wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp Mountain Dew or sprite
- 3 tbsp Red Curry Paste
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- Wash and devein prawns or shrimp.
- Pat dry and transfer to a bowl.
- Season prawns with sea salt and black ground pepper.
- Add minced garlic, grated ginger, cayenne pepper, soju and mountain dew or sprite and parsley flakes or malunggay (moringa) flakes.
- Toss gently to mix.
- Make sure that prawns are evenly coated with marinade, let sit for 10-20 minutes.
- While prawns are marinating.
- Prepare ingredients for curry sauce.
- Heat saute pan on high heat.
- Add coconut oil.
- Add prawns to the pan, reserve the liquid or juices for later.
- Saute for a few seconds.
- Add red curry paste and coconut milk.
- Stir and mash the paste until it is evenly mixed and lump-free.
- Add green chilies and red chili pepper flakes, if using.
- Bring mixture to a boil then lower heat to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
- Check seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Add more coconut milk if it's salty.
- Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!