This is my first time to make this dish and quite surprise that it’s easy to make considering how delicious it is- hot and spicy-delicious!!
I’ve added this to my favorites.ü This will be included in the simple Chinese New Year dinner that I’m planning – we’re not really Chinese, I just want to join in the fun of welcoming the new Lunar year, there’s no harm in that…
Just good food and good karma and good luck – lots of it, I hope!. 😀
After frying the fish, saute the ginger, garlic and chili and scallions in the same pan.
Add the chili-garlic sauce, hot sauce and the slurry [broth +cornstarch] and simmer.
I used beer and water to sub for the broth..rather than just plain water- that explains why my sauce is too bubbly. ^-^
Put the fried fish back in to braise – you may use fish fillet, too.
But whole fish for Chinese New Year’s supposed to bring prosperity/abundance or good luck..not really sure what but they’re all good so bring it on! 🙂
Serve immediately while the sauce is still hot.. nom.nom.nom.
The kids couldn’t handle this so I’m going to tame it a little for them next time and make an extra sauce with more chilli flakes and hot sauce (to make it scorching hot) just for me and my husband, that will make everyone happy! 😀
Fish in Szechuan Sauce
- 1 whole Tilapia Fish or fish fillet, cleaned and washed
- 1 pc Lemon or Calamansi Juice
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Ginger grated
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- Scallions or Green Onion / sliced thinly
- 2 tsp Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- ½ cup Chicken Stock or water
- ½ tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1½ tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Heat a frying pan (big enough to fit the fish) and add vegetable oil.1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Pour lemon or calamansi juice over the fish and rub to get rid of the fishy smell.1 pc Lemon, 1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.Salt, Black Pepper
- Fry seasoned fish in the preheated cooking oil in a pan until brown and crispy on both sides.1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Transfer to a platter with a paper towel to drain excess oil, set aside.1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Using the same pan, discard oil from frying the fish.1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of sesame oil in the pan.1 tsp Olive Oil, 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Saute ginger, garlic, onion, chilli flakes for about a minute.Ginger, 4 cloves Garlic, Scallions, 2 tsp Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Add soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, hot sauce and sugar in a pan and bring to simmer.1 tbsp Soy Sauce, 1½ tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce, 1 tbsp Hot Sauce, 1 tsp Sugar
- Combine broth and cornstarch in small bowl.½ cup Chicken Stock, ½ tsp Cornstarch
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch, add into the pan to thicken the sauce.½ tsp Cornstarch
- Bring to simmer again and let cook for another minute.1 whole Tilapia Fish
- Adjust consistency of the sauce by adding more water for thinner sauce or by letting it simmer for a few more minutes to thicken or add more slurry (water-cornstarch mixture).½ cup Chicken Stock
♥ Have a nice day! God Bless! 🙂 ♥