Cream and oil-based pasta dishes are currently my favorite. I still like tomato-based pasta but it’s taking a backseat for now. I just love that creamy cheese and extra-virgin olive oil in my pasta, I like spaghetti the most among all pasta shapes and sizes out there. Of course you may use your preferred pasta for this recipe, I like fettuccine, too.
Now for this particular dish, I finally gave in into buying a truffle oil, even though I know it’s artificially flavored, it is still EVOO. No bits of truffles in it just the “aroma”which is the “closest” I can get to the real thing.
I have never seen or have eaten real truffle. I know truffles are wild mushroom that grows underground and can mostly be found in Italy. It cannot be cultivated or farmed. It is rare especially the white ones and therefore very expensive. So, I really don’t have any idea as to how it taste or smell like. I’m putting it on my bucket list. ü
I hope I can find that bottle of extra-virgin olive oil with real truffles in it that really captures the flavor and aroma of the real thing…but this article from NY Times is very enlightening and kinda crushed my hope of finding it. :I
Creamy Coconut Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Red Onion medium size / diced
- 2 cups Shiitake Mushroom sliced / or Baby Portobellos
- Parsley Flakes dried
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper ground / to taste
- 400 ml Coconut Milk
- ⅓ cup Green Peas
- Heat pan over medium-high heat.
- Add coconut oil.
- When oil is hot saute garlic, onion and mushroom.
- Cook until mushroom is wilted.
- Then add water 1 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk, reserve the remaining coconut milk for later.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Stir to combine.
- Let boil then lower heat to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add green peas.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining coconut cream, stir.
- Taste again to check if seasoning is right.
- Serve hot with a crusty bread or along side your meal.
- I like to pour this over pork steak or pork chops or over rice.
- Enjoy however you want it:)