A good healthy and hearty breakfast is what we all need and should have every morning but sometimes I like to prepare something quick, easy and yummy-thank goodness it’s not-oatmeal or rice again- breakfast like these chocolate muffins which my kids and yes, my rice-loving husband too like it very much.
These are so much like chocolate cupcakes – and it’s almost effortless compared to what my mom used to prepare for breakfast for me and my siblings before..
Muffins, pancakes, waffles and french toasts were not considered breakast food in our family when I was growing up; Most of the time we have rice; fried rice with sausage (longganisa); with corned beef; with dried fish; with tocino ( cured meat) etc..always with egg and mostly with diced tomatoes on the side and chocolate drink to wash it all down. We sometimes have oatmeal and of course champorado ( my fave) too on rotation (chocolate rice porridge).
..BUT these muffins have lots of healthy stuff in it too like eggs , milk,, cocoa, chocochips for happiness and a lot of fiber since I used whole wheat flour 🙂
Thanks to Nigella for this wonderful recipe, I heart Nigella Lawson very much, she makes cooking and baking look easy.
CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson
Serving Size : Makes 12
250g plain flour ( I replaced half with whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
2 tablespoons best quality cocoa
175g caster sugar
150g chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling later)
90ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 200C and fill a 12-bun muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Weigh out the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug.
3. Mix both together – it will be a runny batter – then spoon into waiting muffin cases.
4. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top then cook for 20 minutes or until the muffins are risen and springy.
♥Thanks for reading..Have a nice weekend! 🙂 ♥
Nigella's Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 250 g plain flour I replaced half with whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda baking soda
- 2 tablespoons best quality cocoa
- 175 g caster sugar
- 150 g chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling later
- 250 ml milk
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200C and fill a 12-bun muffin tray with paper cases.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug.
- Mix both together – it will be a runny batter – then spoon into waiting muffin cases.
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top then cook for 20 minutes or until the muffins are risen and springy.