I tweaked these cookies from my favorite thumbprint cookie recipe. The idea came to me when I did the macarons for the Daring Baker’s challenge, I have lots of leftover kaya, I used it as centers/filling for these cookies.
These are really good cookies, one of my tweaks that I’m really proud of, I also make this with dulce de leche center and it was a hit, I got lots of orders for it last Christmas season. I’m sharing my recipe with you…
In case you’re wondering what kaya is, kaya is a yummylicious Malaysian coconut and egg jam. It is very similar to our very own coconut jam in the Philippines but kaya is creamier and richer and I have to admit much yummier.
It’s the egg yolks that makes the difference which can be scary to some people as egg yolks have high cholesterol content; I was overwhelmed too by the amount (of yolks) in the recipe but it’s the reason why I made it in the first place..I had extra yolks that I didn’t want to go to waste and I’m glad I did it because it lead me to this delicious cookie recipe 🙂
High cholesterol or not, remember: too much of anything is not good…eat these cookies with moderation
If you don’t have time to make kaya, you can substitute dulce de leche, store-bought or homemade (better).
COCONUT THUMBPRINT COOKIES with KAYA
tweaked from Good Housekeeping Perfect Desserts
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter ( or margarine), softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoon fresh milk
dessicated coconut for dredging
1/2 cup kaya or dulce de leche
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Combine flour, baking powder and salt on a wax paper ( for easier pouring ). In a large boel with mixer at high medium speed, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat until well blended. Reduce speed to ,low; beat in flour mixture just unitl blended.
Drop about a rounded measuring tablespoon of dough into the dessicated coconut, roll until dough is evenly coated with coconuts, place onto ungreased baking sheet and bake 6 minuts. Remove cookie sheet from the oven. Working quickly, with greased rounded measuring teaspoon or large watermelon baller, gentkly press a small indentation in the center of each cookie, making sure not to press all the way through. Fill each indentation wwith rounded 1/2 teaspoon of kaya or dulce de leche.
Return cookies to oven and bake 12-14 minutes longer or until edeges are browned. Transfe cookies to a wire rack to cool. Serve with tea or coffee!
KAYA ( Malaysian Coconut and Egg Jam)
2 cups coconut milk
5 egg yolks
1 2/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt/coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon clear pandan essence
I cooked 2 cups of pure coconut milk with the yolks , 1 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pandan essence until it’s thick. To test for doneness, it should fall off relutantly from the spoon or if it coats the back of a spoon, you know it’s ready. It’s up to you how you want your kaya consistency; cook it a bit longer if you want it really thick. Cool completely before using. Store excess in a jar and keep in the fridge for about two weeks.
♥ Thanks for reading and have a nice day!! 🙂 ♥
Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Kaya
- 2 CUPS Flour
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 3/4 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE, SOFTENED
- 1 CUP SUGAR
- 1 LARGE EGG
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
- 3 TABLESPOON FRESH MILK
- DESSICATED COCONUT FOR DREDGING
- 1/2 CUP KAYA OR DULCE DE LECHE
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F DEGREES. COMBINE FLOUR, BAKING POWDER AND SALT ON A WAX PAPER ( FOR EASIER POURING ). IN A LARGE BOEL WITH MIXER AT HIGH MEDIUM SPEED, BEAT SUGAR AND BUTTER UNTIL CREAMY. ADD EGG, MILK AND VANILLA; BEAT UNTIL WELL BLENDED. REDUCE SPEED TO ,LOW; BEAT IN FLOUR MIXTURE JUST UNITL BLENDED.
- DROP ABOUT A ROUNDED MEASURING TABLESPOON OF DOUGH INTO THE DESSICATED COCONUT, ROLL UNTIL DOUGH IS EVENLY COATED WITH COCONUTS, PLACE ONTO UNGREASED BAKING SHEET AND BAKE 6 MINUTS. REMOVE COOKIE SHEET FROM THE OVEN. WORKING QUICKLY, WITH GREASED ROUNDED MEASURING TEASPOON OR LARGE WATERMELON BALLER, GENTKLY PRESS A SMALL INDENTATION IN THE CENTER OF EACH COOKIE, MAKING SURE NOT TO PRESS ALL THE WAY THROUGH. FILL EACH INDENTATION WWITH ROUNDED 1/2 TEASPOON OF KAYA OR DULCE DE LECHE.
- RETURN COOKIES TO OVEN AND BAKE 12-14 MINUTES LONGER OR UNTIL EDEGES ARE BROWNED. TRANSFE COOKIES TO A WIRE RACK TO COOL. SERVE WITH TEA OR COFFEE!