This is one of my favorite veggie dish, I’d like to share this because not only is this so delicious, it is also very simple and easy to cook..as most of my favorite dishes are. You can have this with fish or any meat- fried, broiled, grilled or steamed. You only need a few ingredients which you may already have in stock or can be easily found in any supermarket or grocery store.
We call this dish ginataan calabasa in Filipino. Ginataan actually means cooked in coconut milk; mostly anything, whether sweet or savory that is cooked in or with coconut milk is called ginataan, you can add just about anything as a main ingredient like in this dish squash is used, you could try adding prawns or crab and some green chilies to this and it’s one of the most delicious thing you’ve ever tasted. If only my husband’s not allergic to seafood, I would have included it.
For vegetarians, you may also want to try adding okra and eggplant or make this dish with eggplant alone, it’s just as delicious especially if you like eggplant. I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try, I have a feeling you’ll like it 😉
saute garlic, onion, ginger and squash, add coconut milk..simmer
add the pure coconut milk and chilli leaves..cook for a few more minutes and you’re done!
Squash in Coconut Milk (Ginataang Calabasa)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 cups Squash cut into chunks
- 1 pc Red Onion medium size / minced
- 1 tsp Ginger Root minced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 pc Red Chili Pepper or green chilis / whole with tip cut off / optional
- 1 bunch Chili Leaves optional / or use other greens
- Fish Sauce to taste / optional but recommended if in stock
- 2 & 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream kakang gata
- Cooking Oil
- In a pan or sauce pan, heat about a tablespoon of oil.
- When ready, saute garlic, onion and ginger.
- Cook for about a minute then add squash.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, then pour in coconut milk (diluted).
- Season with fish sauce (patis).
- Add in the red chili pepper and bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer.
- Cook until the squash is tender and 3/4 of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the coconut cream and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the chili leaves if using, taste it then adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Thats all. Serve with rice and meat, fish or chicken. Yummy!
That’s all..serve with rice and meat, fish or chicken. YUm!