My kids like this a LOT! I’m glad that they also like the food that I love as a kid , I try to recreate some of it in my kitchen as best I can, some are easy, some are not…good thing this fritter is very easy and quick to make because my kids ask me to make it often.
Maruya is simply saba (a type of plaintain) banana fritters. This is one of my favorite childhood eats; it’s cooked just like pancakes but it has more saba bananas than batter in it. I like it to roll it in cinnamon-sugar while it still hot, this is so good as an afternoon snack or even for breakfast.
I don’t use exact measurements when making maruya, I just make sure that the batter is thicker than pancake in consistency and should coat the bananas thickly. I like cinnamon so I added it to the batter and sugar for coating, you may omit it if you don’t like cinnamon but I’m telling you, it’s good for your health! 🙂
For the batter:
pinch of salt
cinnamon powder, as little or as much as you like (optional)
milk, fresh, full cream or lowfat
saba banana, diced
cooking oil for pan frying
cinnamon-sugar: combine 1/4 cup white sugar with a teaspoon of cinnamon powder
Heat about 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in frying pan or skillet over medium heat. While you are waiting for that, prepare batter by combining flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, a pinch of salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine egg and milk, mix well and pour into the flour mixture. Stir to combine then add diced bananas.
Drop spoonfulls in the heated pan. Cook until the edges are brown then flip to cook the other side. Lay cooked fritters on paper towels to drain excess oil. Roll maruya in cinnamon sugar if you like.
♥ Have a nice day..thanks for reading!! 🙂 ♥
Maruya (Saba Banana Fritters)
- FOR THE BATTER:
- PINCH OF SALT
- CINNAMON POWDER AS LITTLE OR AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE (OPTIONAL)
- 1 EGG
- MILK FRESH, FULL CREAM OR LOWFAT
- SABA BANANA DICED
- COOKING OIL FOR PAN FRYING
- CINNAMON-SUGAR: COMBINE 1/4 CUP WHITE SUGAR WITH A TEASPOON OF CINNAMON POWDER
- HEAT ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS OF COOKING OIL IN FRYING PAN OR SKILLET OVER MEDIUM HEAT. WHILE YOU ARE WAITING FOR THAT, PREPARE BATTER BY COMBINING FLOUR, SUGAR, CINNAMON POWDER, A PINCH OF SALT IN A BOWL. IN ANOTHER BOWL, COMBINE EGG AND MILK, MIX WELL AND POUR INTO THE FLOUR MIXTURE. STIR TO COMBINE THEN ADD DICED BANANAS.
- DROP SPOONFULLS IN THE HEATED PAN. COOK UNTIL THE EDGES ARE BROWN THEN FLIP TO COOK THE OTHER SIDE. LAY COOKED FRITTERS ON PAPER TOWELS TO DRAIN EXCESS OIL. ROLL MARUYA IN CINNAMON SUGAR IF YOU LIKE.