This is a Thai dish..it’s hot and spicy with a little tang courtesy of the tamarind paste- I have a jar of it that I seldom use and it comes in handy for this fish recipe.
Whole fish can be used for this dish, I would have used it but my family wants fillet of fish because it’s so much easier to eat and cooks faster too. I do miss whole fried fish, I love to fry it until the skin gets crispy, maybe next time..
I love recipes like this, it’s fast, easy and so yummy..spicy-hot yummy! 🙂
cut fish fillet into bite-size pieces..coat with cornstarch and pan fry…
saute the onion, ginger, red curry paste..
tamarind, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar
pour over the cooked fish.. serve hot, you’ll be needing lots of steamed rice with this ..happy eating! 🙂
FISH IN TAMARIND SAUCE (Plah Tote Laht Nahm Prik Makahm)
see original recipe here
1 cup cornstarch flour (makes the fish crispy)
A few grinds of Pepper and sea salt
2 Pounds Fish Fillet* (a whole fish can be used)
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 onion, minced ( the original recipe didn’t have this, I just added it cause I ran out of garlic)
3 cloves garlic, minced ( I ran out of garlic so I used granulated garlic and added it towards the end)
1 Tablespoon Ginger, minced or grated
1 Tablespoon Red Curry Paste
1 Tablespoon Tamarind Paste mixed with –
1/2 Cup Water
6 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Sugar
3 Medium Green Onions thinly sliced
1. Mix cornstarch with the salt and pepper and dredge fish fillets in it.
2. Heat large skillet and add oil. Cook fillets in oil about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside on paper toweling to absorb excess oil. Leave about 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet.
3. Add the garlic, onion and ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds being careful to not burn it. Add the red curry paste and sauté for 1 minute or it becomes fragrant. Add the tamarind, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Cook for 1 minute stir-frying.
4. Stir in the green onions and ginger. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour hot sauce over the fish
garnish with cilantro and tomatoes if you have some..
♥ Thanks for reading..Have a nice day!! :)♥
Fish In Tamarind and Red Curry Sauce (Plah Tote Laht Nahm Prik Makahm)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 CUP CORNSTARCH FLOUR MAKES THE FISH CRISPY
- A FEW GRINDS OF PEPPER AND SEA SALT
- 2 POUNDS FISH FILLET* A WHOLE FISH CAN BE USED
- 1/2 CUP VEGETABLE OIL
- 1 ONION MINCED ( THE ORIGINAL RECIPE DIDN’T HAVE THIS, I JUST ADDED IT CAUSE I RAN OUT OF GARLIC)
- 3 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED ( I RAN OUT OF GARLIC SO I USED GRANULATED GARLIC AND ADDED IT TOWARDS THE END)
- 1 TABLESPOON GINGER MINCED OR GRATED
- 1 TABLESPOON RED CURRY PASTE
- 1 TABLESPOON TAMARIND PASTE MIXED WITH –
- 1/2 CUP WATER
- 6 TABLESPOONS FISH SAUCE
- 1/4 CUP SOY SAUCE
- 1/4 CUP SUGAR
- 3 MEDIUM GREEN ONIONS THINLY SLICED
- MIX CORNSTARCH WITH THE SALT AND PEPPER AND DREDGE FISH FILLETS IN IT.
- HEAT LARGE SKILLET AND ADD OIL. COOK FILLETS IN OIL ABOUT 2 TO 3 MINUTES PER SIDE OR UNTIL GOLDEN BROWN. REMOVE FROM PAN AND SET ASIDE ON PAPER TOWELING TO ABSORB EXCESS OIL. LEAVE ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS OF OIL IN THE SKILLET.
- ADD THE GARLIC, ONION AND GINGER AND STIR-FRY FOR A FEW SECONDS BEING CAREFUL TO NOT BURN IT. ADD THE RED CURRY PASTE AND SAUTÉ FOR 1 MINUTE OR IT BECOMES FRAGRANT. ADD THE TAMARIND, FISH SAUCE, SOY SAUCE, AND SUGAR. COOK FOR 1 MINUTE STIR-FRYING.
- STIR IN THE GREEN ONIONS AND GINGER. REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER FOR 2 TO 3 MINUTES. POUR HOT SAUCE OVER THE FISH
- GARNISH WITH CILANTRO AND TOMATOES IF YOU HAVE SOME..