My little boy calls this KFC Adobo because it’s made with chicken, to him, chicken=KFC and he likes `dobo, that’s how he calls adobo.
He couldn’t wait for me to finish cooking, he keeps coming back to the kitchen asking “..is that kfc dobo?” ; “Is it cooked already?”, or “are you done mommy?” and when it was finally done he said: “oh, boy, oh,boy” (copying Spongebob).
Adobo is one of my go-to dishes when there is almost nothing left to cook in the pantry or fridge.
It is easy, all the ingredients are easily available (make sure you still have meat of course :), if there’s really nothing left, or when I’m feeling lazy.. then it’s time to order food and my kids would cheer, yay.
I don’t take that as an offense, it’s just that we seldom order take-outs that they miss it.
This dish is better than take outs and it’s way cheaper too. I made this spicy because we like it that way, if you can’t take too much heat, just omit or simply reduce the cayenne pepper and the red chilli pepper flakes.
If you have kids just like I do, although my kids eat spicy foods, I usually set aside a portion for them with “tamed” spices but this one is tolerable for my 10-year old daughter.
You might also want to try pork adobo, I did it using less vinegar in proportion to soy sauce and no chilli peppers, just black pepper.
Spicy Chicken Adobo
- 3 pcs Chicken Thighs
- 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Cayenne Pepper hotness level
- Cooking Oil
- 1 head Garlic small size / separate cloves then crush and peel
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅔ cup Vinegar
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Whole Peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1 Olive Oil extra virgin
- Heat about a tablespoon of cooking oil (don't use your expensive olive oil) in a pan.Cooking Oil
- Meanwile, wash and clean chicken pieces thoroughly, make sure you get that slime underneath the skin.3 pcs Chicken Thighs, 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Pat dry and season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle or rub cayenne pepper, if using.Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper
- Pan fry on medium-high heat until browned on both sides.3 pcs Chicken Thighs, 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Transfer to a platter and set aside.3 pcs Chicken Thighs, 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Discard the oil from the frying pan but reserve about a tablespoon or discard it all and use a tablespoon of olive oil instead.1 Olive Oil
- Sauté garlic until soft and lightly brown (love the smell), add the red chilli pepper flakes (if using).1 head Garlic, 1 teaspoon Red Chili Pepper Flakes
- Add soy sauce, whole peppercorns and bay leaves and vinegar, DO NOT STIR!⅔ cup Vinegar, 2 Bay Leaves, 1 teaspoon Whole Peppercorns, ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- Cover and let it boil for a minute.
- Remove cover/lid, now you may stir and return the pan-fried chicken pieces.3 pcs Chicken Thighs, 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Cover again and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Flip the chicken pieces to let the other side absorb the sauce too, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes more.3 pcs Chicken Thighs, 4 pcs Chicken Legs
- Watch the liquid, you may want to add a little water if you want it with sauce but if you just want a glaze, cook until there's barely liquid left on the pan.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.