Congratulations to the Royal newlyweds, Prince William and Princess Kate!! It was such a beautiful and grand wedding, I truly wish that they’ll have a long and happy married years together!
I made these pastries yesterday while watching a feature of their love story on tv..it’s like a modern day fairy tale…*sigh* 🙂
Speaking of Royalties, these tartlets are said to have been made by Anne Boleyn for King Henry VIII to capture his heart. Well, she did make him fall in love with her and we all know how their story ended..so sad and tragic (for Queen Anne).
rub butter and flour with the tips of your fingers, until you get a fine crumb-like mixture; add sugar
gradually add egg yolk-water mixture while stirring
knead briefly on a lightly floured surface, form into a ball and wrap in cling wrap and chill
make the filling..
spoon about a tablespoon of the filling into each pastry case; bake..
..and serve with tea or coffee! Mmmm..these are really yummy! 🙂
These mini tarts are so cute just like Prince William and Kate’s maids of honor 🙂
MAIDS OF HONOR
adapted from Ultimate Cake by Barbara Maher
1 quantity shortcrust pastry pate brisee ( recipe follows)
For the Filling
3 oz butter, softened
4 oz curd cheese ( I used cream cheese), room temperature
2 egg yolks
3 ounces caster sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 ounces ground almonds
1 teaspoon orange-water ( I just use a drop or two of orange extract mixed with water to make a teaspoon)
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2.5 oz candied peel, finely chopped ( I didn’t have these)
Preheat oven to 400 F degrees ( 200 C ). Allow pastry to come back to room temperature and knead briefly until smooth. Roll out on a lightly floured surface or in between sheets of plastic film wrap. Cut out 24 (7cm/3 in) circles using a biscuit cutter. Press into greased muffin tins; prick with a fork and chill for 20 minutes.
For the filling, beat together the butter, cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, sugar, zest, almonds and orange-flower water. Stir in the nutmeg and lemon juice.
Drop a little candied peel into each pastry case and spoon in some filling ( about a tablespoon each) over. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin.
Serve with your favorite coffee or tea. Enjoy!
PATE BRISEE ( Shortcrust Pastry)
makes enough to line a 9 1/2 inch pie plate or 24 mini tart pastry crust
6 oz all-purpose flour, sifted ( about 1 1/2 cups)
pinch of salt
3 1/2 chilled butter
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1-2 tablespoons iced water
Sift the flour again together with salt, into a large mixing bowl. Cut the chilled butter into pieces and add to the flour, using the tips of your fingers, rub butter into flour, lifting the mixture and letting it fall back down until you have a fine, crumb-like mixture.
Add the sugar to the bowl and stir in with the fork, making sure it is evenly distributed in the flour mixture. Mix the egg yolk with water until well blended. Drizzle over the flour while stirring continuously with small round-bladed knife. Working fast yet lightly, continue to stir everything until the mixture starts to stick together in little lumps.
Bring the mixture together and knead briefly on a lightly floured surface. Form into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill for at least an hour. This will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Why do you need to chill dough before using it? Answer: To prevent it from shrinking during baking!
Maids of Honor
- 1 QUANTITY SHORTCRUST PASTRY PATE BRISEE RECIPE FOLLOWS
- FOR THE FILLING
- 3 OZ BUTTER SOFTENED
- 4 OZ CURD CHEESE I USED CREAM CHEESE, ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 2 EGG YOLKS
- 3 OUNCES CASTER SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON FINELY GRATED LEMON ZEST
- 2 OUNCES GROUND ALMONDS
- 1 TEASPOON ORANGE-WATER I JUST USE A DROP OR TWO OF ORANGE EXTRACT MIXED WITH WATER TO MAKE A TEASPOON
- PINCH OF GROUND NUTMEG
- 2 TABLESPOONS LEMON JUICE
- 2.5 OZ CANDIED PEEL FINELY CHOPPED ( I DIDN’T HAVE THESE)
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F DEGREES ( 200 C ). ALLOW PASTRY TO COME BACK TO ROOM TEMPERATURE AND KNEAD BRIEFLY UNTIL SMOOTH. ROLL OUT ON A LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE OR IN BETWEEN SHEETS OF PLASTIC FILM WRAP. CUT OUT 24 (7CM/3 IN) CIRCLES USING A BISCUIT CUTTER. PRESS INTO GREASED MUFFIN TINS; PRICK WITH A FORK AND CHILL FOR 20 MINUTES.
- FOR THE FILLING, BEAT TOGETHER THE BUTTER, CREAM CHEESE UNTIL SMOOTH. BEAT IN THE EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, ZEST, ALMONDS AND ORANGE-FLOWER WATER. STIR IN THE NUTMEG AND LEMON JUICE.
- DROP A LITTLE CANDIED PEEL INTO EACH PASTRY CASE AND SPOON IN SOME FILLING ( ABOUT A TABLESPOON EACH) OVER. BAKE IN THE PREHEATED OVEN FOR 20-25 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM THE OVEN AND COOL IN THE TIN.
- SERVE WITH YOUR FAVORITE COFFEE OR TEA. ENJOY!