Gumbo is a Creole/ Cajun dish of stewed okra often with meat or seafood. This is a very simple and easy version of that dish. Cooking gumbo starts with making roux, which is oil and flour cooked into a paste to thicken the stew.
To make stews really delicious, the key is slow and long cooking/simmer but if you’re in a hurry, 30 minutes is good enough especially for smaller quantity like this recipe which is just enough for 4 people. My 5-year old son likes this a LOT or maybe he was just too hungry..lol
Simple Fish Gumbo
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 pcs Garlic minced
- 1 pc Onion medium size / diced
- 1 cup Tomatoes fresh / diced
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or water
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 pcs Green Chilis
- 2 pcs Okra sliced into about 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 ounces Fish Fillet cut into chunks
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Fish Sauce optional
- HEAT OIL IN A SAUCEPAN, FLOUR AND COOK FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES WHILE STIRING OVER LOW HEAT; ADD GARLIC, ONION, COOK UNTIL ONION IS TRANSPARENT THEN ADD THE DICED TOMATOES.
- COOK ON HIGH HEAT, STIRRING AND MUSHING THE TOMATOES; ADD OKRA, CHICKEN STOCK OR WATER, SEASON WITH FISH SAUCE AND PEPPER; ADD PAPRIKA AND THYME.
- BRING TO A BOIL THEN LOWER HEAT TO SIMMER. LET SIMMER AT LOW HEAT FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR.
- ADD FISH FILLET AND GREEN CHILLIES, TURN UP HEAT/FIRE TO A GENTLE BOIL AND COOK FOR 5 MINUTES OR UNTIL FISH TURNS WHITE.
- TASTE AND ADJUST SEASONING IF NECESSARY. SERVE HOT WITH RICE. ENJOY!
Have a nice day!! God Bless!