Adapted from Nigella Lawson’s Rose and Pepper Pavlova recipe. I like how this turned out, it so simple and yet it looks gorgeous.
I used brown sugar for this recipe, I processed it in the blender until it is super fine like caster sugar.
The topping for this is the strawberry compote I made out of frozen strawberries, use fresh strawberries if you have it or you can also try this mango pavlova.
Put egg whites in the bowl of your stand mixer
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
Slowly add super fine sugar to the egg whites while beating on medium speed
Keep beating until meringue is stiff and glossy, gently fold in the cornstarch and vinegar by hand using spatula until well incorporated
Form meringue into a big disk on a parchment-lined baking sheet
cool baked meringue then invert onto a serving plate
Spread whipped cream cheese topping evenly on the meringue
Then top with fresh strawberries or yummy strawberry compote
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a grease-free stand mixer bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm peaks form.
- Then beat in the sugar a spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Be patient: it takes a little time to thicken glossily.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch and vinegar over the meringue, then, by hand, gently fold everything until it is thoroughly mixed in.
- Mound onto the lined baking sheet in a fat disc approximately 22cm/9inch in diameter, smoothing the sides and top.
- Place in the oven, then immediately turn the temperature down to 150°C/130°C Fan/300°F and bake for 1 hour.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool, but do not leave anywhere cold as this will make it crack too dramatically.
- You’ll always get some cracks though, so don’t fret.
- If you think your kitchen is too cold, then drape the pavlova base loosely with a clean tea towel.
- When the meringue is completely cooled, turn the pavlova base onto a large flat plate with the underside uppermost.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- If using fresh strawberries, hull each strawberry and cut, from hulled end to the tip, to make 3 slices, putting them into a shallow bowl as you go and sprinkle with the sugar, leaving them to macerate while you get on with the cream.
- Whip the cream, softened cream cheese slowly adding the confectioner's sugar until thick and airy but still soft.
- Spread on top of the pavlova base in a swirly-mound, working all the way to the edges so that it is evenly covered.
- Spoon the shiny strawberries in their juice over the top or use the homemade strawberry compote.