Pan-fried chicken with crispy skin in a tangy and creamy yogurt mushroom sauce. I don’t think I’ll get tired of eating this.
I always use thigh part for this dish, bone-in or thigh fillet and always with skin on because crispy chicken skin is so yummy and thigh part is the best, it has the most flavor. It just takes longer for bone-in chicken parts to cook but it’s worth the wait, I’m always willing to wait for the chicken thigh, even when I order out:)
I like to use full fat yogurt or heavy cream for the sauce, for the same reason–more flavor. I lower the heat as soon as I add it to avoid curdling and also in the hope of saving some of the probiotics in yogurt. 😀
Chicken stock will make this dish extra delicious but I have an alternative because I don’t always have chicken stock in my pantry. I like to add whisky or brandy or wine (red or white is fine), just a little but it adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
It is a simple dish to make but it packs a lot of flavor. The whole family loves it.
Wash and dry chicken pieces and pan fry over medium heat
..until nicely browned on both sides. Take chicken out of the pan
discard some of the oil and saute garlic, onion in the remaining oil in the pan
I added a little whiskey here to deglaze the pan
..pour chicken stock or water, add parsley flakes, red chili pepper. Cover and let simmer for a few minutes
add yogurt or cooking cream
Put the chicken back in the pan, sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese. Cover and heat through for a couple of minutes.
Chicken in Creamy Yogurt Mushroom Sauce
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 6-8 pcs Chicken Thigh bone-in
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium Red Onion diced
- 150 grams Shiitake Mushroom fresh / sliced thinly
- 1-2 pcs Red Chili Peppers cut into pcs (optional)
- ¼ cup Brandy or whiskey / or wine
- 1 Tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- ¾ -1 cup Yogurt
- 2 Tbsps Parmesan Cheese grated
- Salt to taste
- Ground Pepper to taste
- Heat braiser or saute pan over high heat.
- Wash, dry and season chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- When pan is very hot, put chicken pieces in skin side down.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- Cover pan.
- When chicken is browned, flip to cook the other side.
- Take chicken pieces out of the pan.
- Discard some of the oil from the pan, leave about a tablespoon of chicken oil and add garlic, then the onion or shallots
- When garlic and onion are soft, add mushroom.
- Cook for about a minute then add whiskey to deglaze the pan.
- Turn heat to high.
- Pour in chicken stock or water, season with salt and ground black pepper (start with ¼ tsp salt and ⅛ black pepper, adjust to taste before you finish cooking)
- Let simmer covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add yogurt and lower the heat to low.
- Let it simmer gently for about a couple of minutes or more.
- Put chicken pieces back in the pan.
- Cook for another couple of minutes more then sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over chicken.
- Cover and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Turn off heat.
- Serve and Enjoy.