Doesn’t it look yummy? I don’t usually get excited over pancakes, for me they are all the same and I don’t make pancakes as often because it makes me consume lots of butter and syrup ( they’re so good but it could give you bad stuff in return like clogged arteries and diabetes ), but pancakes are nothing without them. Have you tried eating pancakes by itself? It’s blah, right?
these pancakes, it taste good even without butter and syrup dribbling down it’s side…but it’s so much better with some, so I replaced the syrup with honey and used less butter..
The original recipe is from my aunt Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa (LOL, how I wish it’s true so I can visit her and her kitchen and her beautiful herb garden), I tweaked it to make it healthier.
Here they are…
I love this stove top grill, the other side is with ridges, that’s where I grill my meat, fish and veggies. Look, I can make 1..2..3…6 pancakes at a time..
In the past, I used to make it one at a time, I remember cooking pancakes in an ordinary pan (not non-stick), I have to put a lot of butter so it won’t stick and it takes forever for the whole batch of pancake batter to finish cooking, by the time I put in that last scoop of batter on the pan, the others were either already cold or have gone down on everyone’s tummy while I wasn’t looking..
Flip, to cook the other side….
Put it in a platter, garnish with banana slices, a pat of butter and drizzle with honey on top..
Tah-da…. pancakes! Healthy, yummy, good-for-you pancakes….
Here’s the recipe..
WHOLE WHEAT BANANA YOGURT PANCAKES
tweaked from Ina Garten’s Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
(Makes 10-12 pancakes)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup fruit flavored yogurt, preferably banana like Nestle’s
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Unsalted or salted butter or margarine
2-3 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
Set your non-stick pancake grill or non-stick pan over medium heat.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl or big measuring cup, whisk together the yogurt, milk, eggs and vanilla,
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.
Grease pancake griddle with butter ( I did it by lightly rubbing a very cold stick of butter on the grill, be careful don’t let your knuckles touch the surface of the pan, it’s HOt! ) over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan using a 1/4 measuring cup. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned.
Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute, until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, grease the griddle with butter again, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used.
Serve with sliced bananas, butter, honey and a hot cup of green tea or cofee and milk for the little ones.
Whole Wheat Banana Yogurt Pancakes
- 1 1/2 CUPS WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY FLOUR
- 3 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/2 CUP FRUIT FLAVORED YOGURT PREFERABLY BANANA LIKE NESTLE’S
- 3/4 CUP PLUS 1 TABLESPOON LOW-FAT MILK
- 2 EXTRA-LARGE EGGS
- 1 TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- UNSALTED OR SALTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE
- 2-3 RIPE BANANAS DICED, PLUS EXTRA FOR SERVING
- SET YOUR NON-STICK PANCAKE GRILL OR NON-STICK PAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT.
- IN A BOWL, SIFT TOGETHER THE FLOUR, SUGAR, BAKING POWDER, AND SALT. SET ASIDE. IN ANOTHER BOWL OR BIG MEASURING CUP, WHISK TOGETHER THE YOGURT, MILK, EGGS AND VANILLA,
- ADD THE WET INGREDIENTS TO THE DRY ONES, MIXING ONLY UNTIL COMBINED.
- GREASE PANCAKE GRIDDLE WITH BUTTER ( I DID IT BY LIGHTLY RUBBING A VERY COLD STICK OF BUTTER ON THE GRILL, BE CAREFUL DON’T LET YOUR KNUCKLES TOUCH THE SURFACE OF THE PAN, IT’S HOT! ) OVER MEDIUM-LOW HEAT UNTIL IT BUBBLES. LADLE THE PANCAKE BATTER INTO THE PAN USING A 1/4 MEASURING CUP. DISTRIBUTE A ROUNDED TABLESPOON OF BANANAS ON EACH PANCAKE. COOK FOR 2 TO 3 MINUTES, UNTIL BUBBLES APPEAR ON TOP AND THE UNDERSIDE IS NICELY BROWNED.
- FLIP THE PANCAKES AND THEN COOK FOR ANOTHER MINUTE, UNTIL BROWNED. WIPE OUT THE PAN WITH A PAPER TOWEL, GREASE THE GRIDDLE WITH BUTTER AGAIN, AND CONTINUE COOKING PANCAKES UNTIL ALL THE BATTER IS USED.
- SERVE WITH SLICED BANANAS, BUTTER, HONEY AND A HOT CUP OF GREEN TEA OR COFEE AND MILK FOR THE LITTLE ONES.