I have been in search of a good cassava cake recipe to satisfy my craving for it. I know I can easily buy a box of it but I have this thing, I am not contented just buying treats that I like, I have to have a recipe of it to try. I have tried several recipes of cassava cake, before this one, I have tried a recipe with macapuno in it. It was a clipping from a newspaper dating 10 years back, it did not have any toppings but I tried to add a topping to it and accidentally burned the top, and of course I can’t share it with you, not yet. I have to at least do it properly once before I can recommend it, but if you want it and couldn’t wait for my post, just email me at latesrecipesAtyahooDotcom and I will gladly send it to you.
But this one is a keeper, I made it once and it turned out great. It’s simple and easy to make, the only hard part is peeling and grating the cassava but if you use frozen, that will make it even easier. I made a slight variation in the recipe by decreasing the sugar by 1/4 cup and adding 1/4 cup condensed milk in the topping mixture.
Here are some photos; recipe follows.
spread the thickened topping mixture on top and sprinkle grated cheese
cut into squares and serve.
CASSAVA CAKE (Cassava Bibingka)
translated from Sarap Pinoy
2 cups grated cassava
1 cup sugar ( I use 3/4 cup only)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
grated cheese for topping
Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8-inch square pan ( the book did not say what size of pan to use, I guess you could use any baking pan or oven-proof deep dish) with wilted banana leaf or simply butter pan.
In a large bowl, combine grated cassava eggs, sugar, evaporated milk, condensed milk coconut milk and melted butter, mix well. Strain a cup of the liquid and set aside for topping.
note: I added 1/4 cup of condensed milk to the reserve liquid for the topping.
Pour the remaining mixture the prepared pan and bake in the oven until set (about 30-35 minutes).
Meanwhile, cook reserve liquid for topping in a saucepan over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Pour this over baked cassava cake and sprinkle some grated cheese on top. Put back in the oven for 15 more minutes or until nicely browned.
Cassava Cake (Cassava Bibingka)
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350F DEGREES. LINE AN 8-INCH SQUARE PAN ( THE BOOK DID NOT SAY WHAT SIZE OF PAN TO USE, I GUESS YOU COULD USE ANY BAKING PAN OR OVEN-PROOF DEEP DISH) WITH WILTED BANANA LEAF OR SIMPLY BUTTER PAN.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, COMBINE GRATED CASSAVA EGGS, SUGAR, EVAPORATED MILK, CONDENSED MILK COCONUT MILK AND MELTED BUTTER, MIX WELL. STRAIN A CUP OF THE LIQUID AND SET ASIDE FOR TOPPING.
- NOTE: I ADDED 1/4 CUP OF CONDENSED MILK TO THE RESERVE LIQUID FOR THE TOPPING.
- POUR THE REMAINING MIXTURE THE PREPARED PAN AND BAKE IN THE OVEN UNTIL SET (ABOUT 30-35 MINUTES).
- MEANWHILE, COOK RESERVE LIQUID FOR TOPPING IN A SAUCEPAN OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL THICK, STIRRING CONSTANTLY. POUR THIS OVER BAKED CASSAVA CAKE AND SPRINKLE SOME GRATED CHEESE ON TOP. PUT BACK IN THE OVEN FOR 15 MORE MINUTES OR UNTIL NICELY BROWNED.