What could be cuter than mini pies? TASSIES! I like these mini desserts so much I decided I’m gonna make at least 3 kinds for Christmas or if I’m up to it maybe 12..for 12 days of Christmas…uhm..we’ll see, in the meantime here’s the first one 🙂
This recipe is from last year’s December issue of BHG magazine. I really like how cute these tassies look and the color is perfect for the Holidays. It’s supposed to have peppermint candies but I can’t find those, I substituted white chocolate instead which turned out fine.
The only problem I had recreating this recipe is that the first batch of tassies I baked did not brown well at the sides, I can’t take it out neatly, I guess it’s not yet done so for the succeeding batch, I baked it longer and I was quite happy with the outcome..at least it resembles the ones pictured in the magazine…I was really aiming for that because it’s what drove me to try it in the first place ( although I think mine’s a little dryer ).
These tassies are definitely not just cute, they’re also yummy..I’ll be making this again for Christmas! I hope you do too! 🙂
CHERRY TASSIES RECIPE
adapted from BHG magazine, December 2008
makes 48 cute tassies
Nonstick cooking spray ( if you don’t have this, use butter or shortening for greasing the mini muffin tin)
1-1/4 cups butter, softened
2-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. peppermint extract (I don’t have this, I replaced it with 1/2 tsp lemon extract)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely crushed striped round peppermint candies (about 18) ( I used white chocolate pieces)
48 red maraschino cherries or liquor-flavored maraschino cherries with stems, drained
Coarse sugar (I used red sugar sprinkles)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 1 3/4-inch muffin cups with nonstick spray; set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 1-1/2 cups of the powdered sugar, the baking powder and salt. Beat in peppermint extract, vanilla, and egg. Beat in as much of the flour as you can; stir in remaining flour and candies.
2. Place remaining 3/4 cup powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Shape dough in 1-inch balls; roll in powdered sugar. Press each ball into the bottom and sides of prepared muffin cups.
3. Place cherry, stem side up, in each cup (cherry will not fill the cup). Bake about 12 minutes or until pastry is browned. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Use a small sharp knife to loosen tassies from cups. Transfer to rack to cool completely.
4. To store: Place tassies in a single layer in a covered airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 24 hours or refrigerate up to 3 days. Return to room temperature before serving. Makes about 48 tassies.
5. Kitchen tip: Find whiskey-flavored cherries, labeled Tipsy Cherries, in gourmet sections of food stores or online.
Thanks so much for reading…Have a nice day!
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- NONSTICK COOKING SPRAY IF YOU DON’T HAVE THIS, USE BUTTER OR SHORTENING FOR GREASING THE MINI MUFFIN TIN
- 1-1/4 CUPS BUTTER SOFTENED
- 2-1/4 CUPS POWDERED SUGAR
- 1 TSP. BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 TSP. SALT
- 1 TSP. PEPPERMINT EXTRACT I DON’T HAVE THIS, I REPLACED IT WITH 1/2 TSP LEMON EXTRACT
- 1 TSP. VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 EGG
- 2-1/2 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 CUP FINELY CRUSHED STRIPED ROUND PEPPERMINT CANDIES ABOUT 18 ( I USED WHITE CHOCOLATE PIECES)
- 48 RED MARASCHINO CHERRIES OR LIQUOR-FLAVORED MARASCHINO CHERRIES WITH STEMS DRAINED
- COARSE SUGAR I USED RED SUGAR SPRINKLES
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F. LIGHTLY COAT 1 3/4-INCH MUFFIN CUPS WITH NONSTICK SPRAY; SET ASIDE. IN LARGE MIXING BOWL BEAT BUTTER ON MEDIUM TO HIGH FOR 30 SECONDS. GRADUALLY BEAT IN 1-1/2 CUPS OF THE POWDERED SUGAR, THE BAKING POWDER AND SALT. BEAT IN PEPPERMINT EXTRACT, VANILLA, AND EGG. BEAT IN AS MUCH OF THE FLOUR AS YOU CAN; STIR IN REMAINING FLOUR AND CANDIES.
- PLACE REMAINING 3/4 CUP POWDERED SUGAR IN A SHALLOW DISH. SHAPE DOUGH IN 1-INCH BALLS; ROLL IN POWDERED SUGAR. PRESS EACH BALL INTO THE BOTTOM AND SIDES OF PREPARED MUFFIN CUPS.
- PLACE CHERRY, STEM SIDE UP, IN EACH CUP (CHERRY WILL NOT FILL THE CUP). BAKE ABOUT 12 MINUTES OR UNTIL PASTRY IS BROWNED. SPRINKLE WITH COARSE SUGAR. COOL 10 MINUTES IN PAN. USE A SMALL SHARP KNIFE TO LOOSEN TASSIES FROM CUPS. TRANSFER TO RACK TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- TO STORE: PLACE TASSIES IN A SINGLE LAYER IN A COVERED AIRTIGHT CONTAINER. STORE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE UP TO 24 HOURS OR REFRIGERATE UP TO 3 DAYS. RETURN TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE SERVING. MAKES ABOUT 48 TASSIES.
- KITCHEN TIP: FIND WHISKEY-FLAVORED CHERRIES, LABELED TIPSY CHERRIES, IN GOURMET SECTIONS OF FOOD STORES OR ONLINE.