I used to hate this dish when I was young, I didn’t like the taste of fermented black beans and the milk fish has too many fine bones that makes it difficult to eat. My mother, she used to make it regularly- no matter how much complaining/whining I did- hoping that I will eventually like it. After so many years, finally, I am able to appreciate this dish and make it for my family too, but my little boy doesn’t like the black beans..no surprise there, I guess. 😉
When making this dish, usually whole or milk fish slices are fried then served with adobo-like sauce with fermented black beans. I make mine with fish fillet and skipped the frying part. It’s easier, quicker and healthier.
The recipe below is for 3-4 persons, feel free to adjust to your own taste or family size.
saute garlic, onion and black beans
add water and season to taste
add the fish fillet pieces
serve with rice. Enjoy! 🙂
Fish Fillet with Tausi (Fermented Black Beans)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 150 grams Fish Fillet cut into 1" pieces or chunks
- 1 knob Ginger sliced thinly into strips
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Red Onion medium size / sliced
- Fish Sauce to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Tausi fermented black beans / available in Asian grocery stores
- Black Pepper ground
- Scallions or Green Onions
- Lightly season fish fillet pieces with salt and pepper, set aside. Heat cooking oil and sesame oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, saute until fragrant then add black beans. Cook for about a minute then add a cup of water; season with fish sauce ( or soy sauce if you want), and a little sugar and black pepper; bring to a boil then add the fish fillet pieces.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then invert the fish fillet pieces and cook for about 3-5 minutes more.
- Make the slurry by mixing cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water then add a little of this to the pan ( you may use all of it or not depending on how you want the consistency of your sauce); bring to a boil, check the seasoning then turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle scallions and serve with rice. Enjoy! 🙂