Macaroni salad is my mother’s favorite, she makes it for both Christmas’ Noche Buena meal and on New Year’s Media Noche. She’s proud of her macaroni salad; I, personally am not a fan of this, I can only eat one or two bites just to please my mom…everyone thinks I’m odd for not liking it..for some reason I can’t explain..mayonnaise is not one of my favorite ingredients..it’s not because I’m calorie conscious or too concerned for my health.. I just don’t like the taste of mayo, maybe it’s the vinegar in it..I’m not sure.
Here’s the recipe for Macaroni Chicken Salad, even though I don’t eat this much, but I know for sure how to make this, I helped every year in preparing it.. I learned how to make this from watching my mom and one of my aunt make this when I was little, the addition of apple pieces, I got from my father’s sister, she also adds shrimp to this but my mother prefers it without, so she doesn’t add any. The recipe below has very small amount of mayonnaise, you may of course add more according to your taste and preference. 🙂
combine all ingredients in a big salad bowl..
don’t forget the cheese 🙂
add the mayo and toss until well combined… chill well before serving
MACARONI CHICKEN SALAD
1 cup raw macaroni pasta , cooked al dente
9 ounces chicken tenders, boiled and diced or chopped into small pieces or diced
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained well
1 small fuji apples, diced
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup cheese, diced or grated
salt and white pepper to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise ( this is a very small amount for this kind of dish, feel free to add more if you thinkthe salad is too dry or you can add a little milk instead)
optional : add about 1/2 cup cooked shrimp; peeled and deveined
In a big bowl, combine everything and toss gently until well combine, taste it; adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover the bowl or transfer into a covered container and chill for at least 2 hours.
Thanks for reading…Merry Christmas! 🙂
Macaroni Chicken Salad
- 1 CUP RAW MACARONI PASTA COOKED AL DENTE
- 9 OUNCES CHICKEN TENDERS BOILED AND DICED OR CHOPPED INTO SMALL PIECES OR DICED
- 1 CUP CRUSHED PINEAPPLE DRAINED WELL
- 1 SMALL FUJI APPLES DICED
- 1/3 CUP RAISINS
- 1/2 CUP CHEESE DICED OR GRATED
- SALT AND WHITE PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/3 CUP MAYONNAISE THIS IS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT FOR THIS KIND OF DISH, FEEL FREE TO ADD MORE IF YOU THINKTHE SALAD IS TOO DRY OR YOU CAN ADD A LITTLE MILK INSTEAD
- OPTIONAL : ADD ABOUT 1/2 CUP COOKED SHRIMP; PEELED AND DEVEINED
- IN A BIG BOWL, COMBINE EVERYTHING AND TOSS GENTLY UNTIL WELL COMBINE, TASTE IT; ADJUST SEASONING IF NECESSARY. COVER THE BOWL OR TRANSFER INTO A COVERED CONTAINER AND CHILL FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS.