Just like adobo this classic Japanese dish is so easy to prepare and always satisfy any hungry tummy. This is one of my favorite dishes to cook when in a hurry to put food on the table. I like to pair this with sauteed cabbage with turmeric and lots of rice, steamy hot rice!! mmmm..mmm 😛
You can either grill or pan-fry the chicken, your choice but when I feel extra lazy, I like to pan-fry and use the same pan for the teriyaki sauce. I always use chicken thigh fillet because it’s tender and cooks quickly (you can use breast fillet if you don’t like dark meat or you can substitute fish, too ) and coat it with a little sesame oil, soy sauce, ground black pepper before cooking it on the grill or frying it in little oil.
I have a formula that I use when making teriyaki; I always put equal amount of soy sauce ( I use Kikkoman only when making this dish), mirin and water..and for 3 tablespoons of those ingredients, I add a teaspoon of sesame oil; the ginger I use a little knob or about 1 teaspoon when grated.
grill or pan-fry chicken thigh fillet and cut into 2-3 pieces or bite-size pieces; set aside. Make the teriyaki sauce.
For the sauteed cabbage, just heat some extra-virgin olive oil in a pan, then put the shredded cabbage, season with salt, ground black pepper, a little red pepper chilli flakes and a dash or two of turmeric powder to enhance the color and flavor. It’s my daughter’s favorite side dish 🙂
simply delicious chicken teriyaki! nom, nom..
EASY CHICKEN TERIYAKI
chicken thigh fillet
ground black pepper
cooking oil, if frying
1/4 cup Japanese soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
a small knob of ginger, finely grated
1/4 cup water
Slurry, or thickener:
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
sesame oil, about a teaspoon or more if you like
spring onions, just for garnish, not really necessary 😉
Preheat the grill; or if pan-frying, heat a non-stick pan in medium high heat, then add about 1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
Wash and pat dry chicken fillet. Add a little amount of sesame oil, soy sauce just to coat the chicken then some ground black pepper. Grill or fry until browned on both sides; set aside.
In a pan, mix together the soy sauce, mirin and water. Add grated ginger; bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer about 2 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water then add just a little, about a teaspoon of this slurry , you don’t want your teriyaki sauce too thick; you can always add more if you really want it thicker in consistency.
Slice the grilled chicken into 2-3 pieces then add it to the pan, stir to coat the chicken with the sauce and cook for less than a minute, season with more black pepper ( optional) and lastly drizzle with sesame oil. Transfer to a serving plate, and enjoy!
Happy Cooking!! 🙂
♥ Thanks for dropping by, have a nice day! 🙂 ♥ …to my spammers too, lol ;P
Easy Chicken Teriyaki
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- CHICKEN THIGH FILLET
- SOY SAUCE
- SESAME OIL
- GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- COOKING OIL IF FRYING
- TERIYAKI SAUCE:
- 1/4 CUP JAPANESE SOY SAUCE
- 1/4 CUP MIRIN
- A SMALL KNOB OF GINGER FINELY GRATED
- 1/4 CUP WATER
- SLURRY OR THICKENER:
- 1 TEASPOON CORNSTARCH
- 2 TABLESPOONS WATER
- SESAME OIL ABOUT A TEASPOON OR MORE IF YOU LIKE
- SPRING ONIONS JUST FOR GARNISH, NOT REALLY NECESSARY 😉
- PREHEAT THE GRILL; OR IF PAN-FRYING, HEAT A NON-STICK PAN IN MEDIUM HIGH HEAT, THEN ADD ABOUT 1-2 TABLESPOONS OF COOKING OIL.
- WASH AND PAT DRY CHICKEN FILLET. ADD A LITTLE AMOUNT OF SESAME OIL, SOY SAUCE JUST TO COAT THE CHICKEN THEN SOME GROUND BLACK PEPPER. GRILL OR FRY UNTIL BROWNED ON BOTH SIDES; SET ASIDE.
- IN A PAN, MIX TOGETHER THE SOY SAUCE, MIRIN AND WATER. ADD GRATED GINGER; BRING TO A BOIL THEN LOWER HEAT AND LET SIMMER ABOUT 2 MINUTES. COMBINE CORNSTARCH AND WATER THEN ADD JUST A LITTLE, ABOUT A TEASPOON OF THIS SLURRY , YOU DON’T WANT YOUR TERIYAKI SAUCE TOO THICK; YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD MORE IF YOU REALLY WANT IT THICKER IN CONSISTENCY.
- SLICE THE GRILLED CHICKEN INTO 2-3 PIECES THEN ADD IT TO THE PAN, STIR TO COAT THE CHICKEN WITH THE SAUCE AND COOK FOR LESS THAN A MINUTE, SEASON WITH MORE BLACK PEPPER ( OPTIONAL) AND LASTLY DRIZZLE WITH SESAME OIL. TRANSFER TO A SERVING PLATE, AND ENJOY!