Stews like this chicken and sausage gumbo, are easy and delicious. The longer you give it time to cook on low heat, the more flavorful it will be. Start making it a couple of hours ahead of meal time and forget about it until it’s time to have lunch or dinner.
You can relax and really focus on your work or whatever makes you occupied during the day at home while cooking something delicious that doesn’t require much of your attention.
Also perfect when you want some to watch a few episodes of an engrossing Netflix series without interruption and still have a decent meal after. 😀
I make this gumbo on stovetop in a dutch oven but if you have slow cooker, it is perfect for this dish.
You can use just one pot in making this gumbo, I usually do but in the photos below, I used a separate pan to brown the chicken and sausage.
First, heat the pot over medium high heat. Add oil and brown the chicken pieces
Saute onion and tomatoes then add chicken stock
add green chili flakes, dried parley leaves, salt and pepper
sliced hungarian sausages
Bring to a boil then lower the heat and let the stew simmer for about 1-2 hours
do a taste test and adjust seasoning to your liking
Enjoy.We like to eat this with rice.
CHICKEN & SAUSAGE GUMBO
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil plus more if needed
- 400 grams Chicken Thigh Fillet
- 2 pcs Hungarian Sausage sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 medium Red Onion minced
- 1- 1.5 cups Tomatoes fresh, diced
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or water
- 3 cups Okra sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley Leaves
- 1 tbsp Chili Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1-2 pcs Green Chili fresh
- Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Put oil and saute chicken thigh fillet pieces until browned.
- Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Next, add sausage slices in the pan and cook until browned.
- Take out of the pan, set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan then add flour, stir and cook for about 3 minutes then add onion until transparent and diced tomatoes and cook until soft, mashing the tomatoes with the wooden spoon as you stir and cook.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Pour chicken stock slowly while stirring.
- Add the cooked chicken fillet back in the pot then the okra.
- add dried parsley leaves, green chili, red pepper chili flakes and paprika, stir then put the sausages back in. Stir well and bring to a boil on high heat.
- When it boils, lower the heat to bring the mixture to just simmering. Cover the pan and cook for 1-2 hours.
- Check seasoning, adjust according to taste.
- Add more stock or water if stew is too thick or if too runny and you want it thicker, add a slurry (1 tbsp cornstarch mix with a 2 tbsp water)
- Turn off heat. It's done. Serve with rice or crusty bread.