It’s been quite awhile since I made these babies…my husband had his birthday a few days ago and instead of making him a layer cake, I baked some cupcakes instead since it’s a lot easier and faster to make. Plus, it’ll be Valentine’s Day in a few days and I thought it’s the perfect time for me to make and finally post this recipe here.
These cupcakes took only a little over an hour to from start to frosting..oh, okay that’s because it’s only a dozen 😉 but really, this is fast and easy.. and yummy, of course!
♥ HaPpY vALentiNe’s Day! ♥
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
makes a dozen cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter ( 1/4 stick)
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk ( or 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice + enough evaporated milk to make 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon red food color
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
white chocolate, for garnish
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup all-purpose cream
1/3 cup cup sonfectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F degrees (175 C degrees ) and place rack in center of oven. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with papaer liners.
In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
In bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg, beating well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
Pour batter into prepared muffin tin. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 5 minutes in the pan before transfering them in a wire rack in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting: Whip cream until stiff peaks; beat the cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar in a separate bowl with a fork or small whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth.
cream butter and sugar..
…add flour mixture alternately..
..with the buttermilk and food color mixture
spoon batter into paper-lined cupcake pan
..bake until and cool on the rack
frost with cream cheese frosting and spinkle with shaved white chocolate…enjoy! 🙂
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 1 1/4 CUPS All-Purpose Flour
- 2 TABLESPOONS CORN STARCH
- 1 TABLESPOON COCOA
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/4 CUP BUTTER 1/4 STICK
- 3/4 CUPS Granulated Sugar
- 1 LARGE EGG
- 1/2 CUP BUTTERMILK OR 1/2 TABLESPOON LEMON JUICE + ENOUGH EVAPORATED MILK TO MAKE 1/2 CUP
- 1 TABLESPOON RED FOOD COLOR
- 1/2 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 1/2 TEASPOON VINEGAR
- WHITE CHOCOLATE FOR GARNISH
- 1/2 CUP CREAM CHEESE SOFTENED
- 1/3 CUP ALL-PURPOSE CREAM
- 1/3 CUP CUP SONFECTIONER’S SUGAR
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 F DEGREES (175 C DEGREES ) AND PLACE RACK IN CENTER OF OVEN. LINE A 12-HOLE MUFFIN PAN WITH PAPAER LINERS.
- IN A MIXING BOWL SIFT TOGETHER THE FLOUR, SALT, AND COCOA POWDER. SET ASIDE.
- IN BOWL OF YOUR ELECTRIC MIXER, OR WITH A HAND MIXER, BEAT THE BUTTER UNTIL SOFT (ABOUT 1-2 MINUTES). ADD THE SUGAR AND BEAT UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY (ABOUT 2-3 MINUTES). ADD THE EGG, BEATING WELL. SCRAPE DOWN THE SIDES OF THE BOWL. ADD THE VANILLA EXTRACT AND BEAT UNTIL COMBINED.
- IN A MEASURING CUP WHISK THE BUTTERMILK WITH THE RED FOOD COLORING. WITH THE MIXER ON LOW SPEED, ALTERNATELY ADD THE FLOUR MIXTURE AND BUTTERMILK TO THE BUTTER MIXTURE, IN THREE ADDITIONS, BEGINNING AND ENDING WITH THE FLOUR.
- IN A SMALL CUP COMBINE THE VINEGAR AND BAKING SODA. ALLOW THE MIXTURE TO FIZZ AND THEN QUICKLY FOLD INTO THE CAKE BATTER.
- POUR BATTER INTO PREPARED MUFFIN TIN. BAKE IN THE PREHEATED OVEN FOR APPROXIMATELY 18-22 MINUTES, OR UNTIL A TOOTHPICK INSERTED IN THE CENTER OF THE CAKES COMES OUT CLEAN. LET CUPCAKES COOL FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES IN THE PAN BEFORE TRANSFERING THEM IN A WIRE RACK IN THEIR PANS ON A WIRE RACK FOR 10 MINUTES.
- MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: WHIP CREAM UNTIL STIFF PEAKS; BEAT THE CREAM CHEESE AND CONFECTIONER’S SUGAR IN A SEPARATE BOWL WITH A FORK OR SMALL WHISK UNTIL SMOOTH. ADD THE VANILLA AND BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH.