I’ve been wanting to try this dish for a long time but I couldn’t find garam masala which is a very important ingredient for this dish. I found a recipe for it and just made my own. Chicken tikka masala originated in London in the 70’s. It was said that a customer ordered chicken tikka from an Indian restaurant and was surprised when the waiter returned with just some cooked chunks of chicken over rice. It must have been so unappetizing to him that the customer asked if the chef would be so kind to add some sauce to the very simple dish.. he did, and to make the story short ..tada– chicken tikka masala came to be.
This is a very spicy dish btw, if you have kids at home, they probably can’t handle it (just like my 5 year-old son) so it would be wise to prepare a separate food for them 🙂
What I’ve learned: Tikka means pieces (of) and masala means spices…now you know it, too 🙂
Note: There’s more than one way to cook this dish, some recipes requires marinating the chicken pieces first then add it to the cooked sauce; others cook the marinated chicken by grilling or frying first before adding it to the sauce; then there are those that just cook the raw chicken pieces with the sauce without marinating them first. I did the latter, cause it’s most convenient for me.
saute onion, green peppers, chicken and garam masala
..add tomatoes and tomato sauce
..add yogurt and dried parsley (if using) and just heat through ( don’t let it boil like I did :S )
..serve with rice or naan bread ( Indian flat bread,very much like a flour tortilla)
CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 onions, chopped
2 tbsp garam masala (see recipe, below)
1 green peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts , cut into cubes
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup natural yogurt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
chopped coriander leaves, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil and butter in a large, lidded pot over medium heat/fire. Add the onions and green peppers season with little salt. Add chicken and garam masala, cook while stirring ( to prevent the spices from burning) until chicken has browned.
Add the chopped tomatoes, cook until tomatoes are mushy then add the tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of water. Cover pot and bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Add the yogurt and dried parsley if using, cook until just heated through. Have a taste and adjust seasonings until it suits you.
Sprinkle with some coriander leaves, if you have it and serve with rice. Enjoy!!
I don’t know anymore where I got this recipe, it says in my note that it’s Sanjeev’s (thank u, whoever you are 🙂 )
1 pc star anise
3 black cardamom
1 1/4 teaspoons black peppercorns
1 small cinnamon stick
1/2 tablespoon cloves
1 Green cardamom
4 grams Mace
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
1- 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
Mix all the spices together and pound or process in a blender/coffee grinder until very fine. Transfer to a jar and keep in the pantry cabinet. It didn’t say how long this will stay good to use but mine’s one month old now and it’s still good. 🙂
♥ Have a nice day! 🙂 GOD Bless! ♥
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 TABLESPOON VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
- 2 ONIONS CHOPPED
- 2 TBSP GARAM MASALA SEE RECIPE, BELOW
- 1 GREEN PEPPERS DESEEDED AND CUT INTO CHUNKS
- 3 BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS , CUT INTO CUBES
- 1 CUP CHOPPED TOMATOES
- 1/2 CUP TOMATO SAUCE
- 1/2 CUP NATURAL YOGURT
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED PARSLEY
- CHOPPED CORIANDER LEAVES TO SERVE (OPTIONAL)
- HEAT THE OIL AND BUTTER IN A LARGE, LIDDED POT OVER MEDIUM HEAT/FIRE. ADD THE ONIONS AND GREEN PEPPERS SEASON WITH LITTLE SALT. ADD CHICKEN AND GARAM MASALA, COOK WHILE STIRRING ( TO PREVENT THE SPICES FROM BURNING) UNTIL CHICKEN HAS BROWNED.
- ADD THE CHOPPED TOMATOES, COOK UNTIL TOMATOES ARE MUSHY THEN ADD THE TOMATO SAUCE AND 1/2 CUP OF WATER. COVER POT AND BRING TO A BOIL AND LOWER HEAT TO SIMMER FOR ABOUT 15-20 MINUTES.
- ADD THE YOGURT AND DRIED PARSLEY IF USING, COOK UNTIL JUST HEATED THROUGH. HAVE A TASTE AND ADJUST SEASONINGS UNTIL IT SUITS YOU.
- SPRINKLE WITH SOME CORIANDER LEAVES, IF YOU HAVE IT AND SERVE WITH RICE. ENJOY!!