This is the perfect cake to bring to potluck parties or when you are hosting a party at home and you have no time to make a fancy layer cake. I’ve made this several times. I went through a few recipes, the first one I tried, the cake was just okay and the icing was too sweet. Tried a couple more recipes and finally nailed it with this one after minor tweaks, I think it is now worthy of sharing.
I’ve made this cake several times but I don’t know why I couldn’t take complete photos of the whole process especially the finished part. Lucky I was able to remember to take photos the last time I made this cake.
My photos are crappy as usual (I’m only using my phone camera for documentation) please bear with me. I’m lacking some photos (again) but no worries this is a really easy recipe. Even newbies can make it 🙂
Chocolate Poke Cake
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
FOR THE CAKE:
FOR THE CAKE:
- Combine milk and lemon juice/vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a big bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, soured milk, oil and brewed coffee.
- Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed using mixer or mix thoroughly with wooden spoon until batter is shiny and lump-free.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake of cake comes clean.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Do this while cake is in the oven.
- Heat condensed milk and chocolates in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat/fire.
- Pour over poked cake and evenly spread. Set aside to let the filling sink in the cake.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Combine icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Beat whipping cream until fluffy, slowly add the cocoa-sugar and gently mix until smooth.
- Spread over the chocolate cake.
- Top with grated chocolate on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge until its ready to serve. Enjoy!