Longganisa is Filipino breakfast sausage- a garlic-ky, somewhat sweet and peppery sausage- it’s usually paired with sunny-side up egg and garlic fried rice with slices of tomatoes – we call this breakfast “combo meal” longsilog ( longganisa, sinangag ( fried rice), itlog ( egg) ); a typical Filipino breakfast. I love it when the sugar in the longganisa caramelizes as it cooks and coat the skin/casing as it slowly fries in its own oil.. yum!
I can’t make real longganisa like the ones sold in the market, it’s like next to impossible for me to find the casing (pig intestine), meat vendors don’t usually sell it because they need it to make ..longganisa, of course! So I had to settle for skinless sausage to make at home and I’m happy that I ( I think) finally nailed the longganisa recipe to my liking, yay! ^-^
I like to use lean ground pork although ideally when making sausage, any sausage, you should have about 30 percent of fat in it to make the sausage juicy; I compensate by frying my homemade sausage in heart-friendly fat like EVOO.
wrap’ em in parchment paper and put in zip bag and store in the freezer ..don’t know exactly for how long it stays good, ours seem to disappear in less than a week, no matter how much I make
Homemade Skinless Longganisa with Garlic Fried Rice (Filipino Breakfast Sausage)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
FOR SKINLESS LONGGANISA:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Do a taste test first by frying a small amount; if you're satisfied, wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap like sausage or just shape into disc like a burger patty and store in the freezer.
- To cook, simply heat some Extra Virgin Olive Oil or any cooking oil in a frying pan, and fry longganisa/sausage until it caramelizes and browned..you'll love the smell 🙂
FOR GARLIC FRIED RICE:
- Soften left-over rice by gently crushing them with your wet hands, making sure there are no lumps.
- Heat some oil in a deep frying pan ( I usually use the same pan Iuse for the longganisa/sausage) , add minced garlic and saute until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Cook, mixing and tossing over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt. Happy Cooking!
♥ Thanks for your time…have a nice day!! 🙂 ♥