If you love coffee and chocolate like me, this cake is for you. Don’t get intimidated by the long recipe, Swiss roll cakes in general are actually easy and it gets easier with practice. This recipe is long because there’s the cake, the filling and the chocolate ganache glaze but if you read the recipe, more than once you’ll realize, yes..you can do it, too. 🙂
I have to admit though, that as much as I love chocolates, I don’t like that it’s messy to work with, it seems to get everywhere. So pardon the scant photos for this post.
I can’t capture how yummy-looking this mocha roll cake really is with my phone camera. I did the best I could with what you see here.
But this cake, it is REALLY GOOD! promise. It is the best mocha roll. I am very happy with this recipe, I tweaked my go to swiss roll recipe to give me what I want in my mocha cake — the taste of coffee perfectly complemented by the chocolate. Oh. So. Yummy!
Mocha Swiss Roll Cake (The Best!)
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
For the Filling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 16x11 inches swiss roll pan with melted or softened butter. Line the base with parchment paper
- Beat eggs and sugar on high using mixer until very light and fluffy. It should hold it's shape for a few seconds -ribbon stage
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cocoa powder, coffee, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl, stir well to combine and sift. Set aside.
- Mix the combined dry ingredients with the beaten egg by folding. When done, pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutees or until the surface springs back when lightly tapped
- While cke is baking, place a sheet of parchment paper (same size as the baking pan) on a clean surface, dust with cocoa powder
- When cake is done, turn it immediately onto the cocoa-dusted parchment paper. Remove the paper on top of the cake, carefully roll the cake starting at the end near you; place seam-side down on a wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, make the filling--
- Dissolve coffee powder or granules in 1 tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside. Beat cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in the bowl of your mixer until light and creamy, add the coffee then the whipping cream. Beat until peaks form.
Make the Ganache --
- Heat water in a saucepan over medium heat. Put cream and grated chocolate in a bowl that is big enough to sit on top of the pan with simmering water until chocolate melts. Stir until smooth. Set aside
Finishing the Cake--
- Unroll the cake carefully. Spread the mocha filling on top evenly, leaving a one-inch margin on all sides and roll firmly.
- Place cake roll seam-side down on a wire rack with baking pan underneath to catch the excess chocolate ganache.
- slowly pour chocolate ganache over the cake, making sure that it is evenly coated. Pour the ganache from the bottom pan on a bowl and repeat the step.
- When the excess chocolate ganache stops dripping, transfer the cake roll onto a serving platter and serve.