This is an easy cake that you can whip up quickly…and if you happen to have a can of dulce de leche in stock that makes it even more easier. That’s what I did, I skipped the caramel making and just opened a can of home-made dulce de leche.
It’s very easy to make dulce de leche from a can of condensed milk, all you need to do is submerged a can/s of condensed milk, peel the label off of the can first. Bring it to a boil then lower the heat and just let it simmer, that’s the key, you have to just simmer it to avoid any accidents… and remember to flip the can about three times during the whole cooking process to give it a “stir”.
Back to the cake. The cake is moist and delicious by itself, without any topping/frosting but the dulce de leche is something else, it makes it yummier :). Make sure you use a really over-ripe bananas as that’s the best to use. The recipe makes a two-layer cake with caramel frosting, I halved the recipe because I think 2 layers is too much for a family of 4.
Don’t let over-ripe bananas go to waste..turn it into a delicious banana cake for your love ones! 🙂
BANANA CAKE with DULCE de LECHE FROSTING
adapted from Country Living
2 1/2 cup(s) cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
1 cup(s) (about 2 bananas) very ripe, mashed bananas
1 can of dulce de leche
Make the batter: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a small brush, lightly coat two 9-inch cake pans with softened butter or vegetable-oil cooking spray. Dust with flour, tap out any excess, and set aside. Over a surface covered with a large sheet of waxed or parchment paper, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Into a medium bowl, resift the flour mixture and set aside.
In a large bowl, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the butter until light — about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat for 2 more minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition, and mix in the vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture by thirds, alternating with the buttermilk and bananas and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just enough to blend the batter after each addition.
Bake the cake: Divide the batter equally between the pans and bake on the middle rack of the oven until a tester inserted into each cake layer comes out clean — 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the cake pans on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake layers from the pan sides and invert the layers onto the wire rack to cool completely.
Top cake with delicious dulce de leche, as much as you like..no one’s gonna stop you 🙂
♥ Thanks for reading and have a nice day!! ♥ 🙂
Banana Cake with Dulce de Leche Topping
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- 2 1/2 CUP S CAKE FLOUR
- 2 1/2 TEASPOON S BAKING POWDER
- 1/2 TEASPOON S BAKING SODA
- 1/2 TEASPOON S SALT
- 1/2 CUP S UNSALTED BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 1 1/4 CUP S GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 LARGE EGGS
- 1 1/2 TEASPOON S VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1/2 CUP S BUTTERMILK
- 1 CUP S (ABOUT 2 BANANAS) VERY RIPE, MASHED BANANAS
- 1 CAN OF DULCE DE LECHE
- MAKE THE BATTER: PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES F. USING A SMALL BRUSH, LIGHTLY COAT TWO 9-INCH CAKE PANS WITH SOFTENED BUTTER OR VEGETABLE-OIL COOKING SPRAY. DUST WITH FLOUR, TAP OUT ANY EXCESS, AND SET ASIDE. OVER A SURFACE COVERED WITH A LARGE SHEET OF WAXED OR PARCHMENT PAPER, SIFT THE FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, BAKING SODA, AND SALT. INTO A MEDIUM BOWL, RESIFT THE FLOUR MIXTURE AND SET ASIDE.
- IN A LARGE BOWL, USING A MIXER SET ON MEDIUM-HIGH SPEED, BEAT THE BUTTER UNTIL LIGHT — ABOUT 1 MINUTE. ADD THE SUGAR AND CONTINUE TO BEAT FOR 2 MORE MINUTES. ADD THE EGGS, ONE AT A TIME, BEATING THOROUGHLY AFTER EACH ADDITION, AND MIX IN THE VANILLA. REDUCE MIXER SPEED TO LOW AND ADD THE FLOUR MIXTURE BY THIRDS, ALTERNATING WITH THE BUTTERMILK AND BANANAS AND ENDING WITH THE DRY INGREDIENTS. MIX JUST ENOUGH TO BLEND THE BATTER AFTER EACH ADDITION.
- BAKE THE CAKE: DIVIDE THE BATTER EQUALLY BETWEEN THE PANS AND BAKE ON THE MIDDLE RACK OF THE OVEN UNTIL A TESTER INSERTED INTO EACH CAKE LAYER COMES OUT CLEAN — 25 TO 30 MINUTES. COOL IN THE CAKE PANS ON A WIRE RACK FOR 15 MINUTES. USING A KNIFE, LOOSEN THE CAKE LAYERS FROM THE PAN SIDES AND INVERT THE LAYERS ONTO THE WIRE RACK TO COOL COMPLETELY.
- TOP CAKE WITH DELICIOUS DULCE DE LECHE, AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE..NO ONE’S GONNA STOP YOU 🙂