This is actually a variation from my favorite pasta aglio e olio- which my family thinks is kind of bland. Well, I told them, especially to the husband and the little one that – it’s because aglio e olio is the equivalent of garlic rice, it means, we pair this with meat or chicken or fish to make a complete meal.
To make them appreciate it more and make it a one bowl dish, I thought I would add in some crispy fried bacon.. lots of it and for some greens, I added in a bunch of basil. Lots of garlic and chili pepper flakes go in too which makes the husband and I very happy and satisfied.
For the little ones though, you can separate their portion before adding in more chilli pepper flakes, if they’re not used to it yet!
Bacon Basil and Chili Pepper Pasta
Ingredients (click ingredient to buy it)
- Put some water in a pot big enough for your pasta.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, add a fistful of salt and add pasta.
- Bring to a boil again, cover pot and turn off fire or take it off of the stove.
- The pasta will be cooked the same way while saving some electric/gas bill. You're welcome. 🙂
- Drain pasta when it's al dente but reserve some pasta water as you may need it for later to loosen the sauce.
- Meanwhile.. Heat a skillet or shallow pan over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon, it'll help to cut the bacon in half crosswise first so it'll fit in the pan.
- Cook the bacon really crisp.
- Lay in paper towels to drain excess fat.
- Set aside and repeat with the remaining bacon.
- Throw the oil from the pan and replace with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Lower the heat and add in the minced garlic, then the chili flakes.
- Add the cooked pasta and the fresh basil.
- Turn the pasta to coat with oil, you may need to add some of the reserved pasta water to loosen it.
- Season with ground black pepper, more chili flakes then add in the bacon pieces.
- Grate some red hot dutch cheese or sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top before serving...and more chili flakes if it pleases you. 🙂
- Enjoy with a glass of red wine..or white, your choice.