I love this combination of classic ham and cheese sandwich and french toast. I don’t know how this yummy sandwich got its name, I just know that I like it a lot. It reminds me of Jim Caviezel as The Count of Monte Cristo in the film adaptation of the book with the same title, which sadly I haven’t read yet. I love the movie, though…I hope the book will not ruin it for me. Hahaha.
The book or the movie adaptation does not, in any way, have any connection to the sandwich..or maybe it has..I’m not sure. I have to research further on it but I’d rather make this sandwich than read about its history. All I need to know for now is that this is really good and easy to make and.. Life is short. ü
Some make it with 3 slices of bread and some mayo or fruit jam in between slices. I like to use Spam and with only 2 slices of bread and I put cream cheese instead of mayo; I want to try making it with jam next time, though.. sounds good to me :)
- 4 slices of bread
- 1-2 tablespoons cream cheese spread
- 4 slices of spam, pan fried (or use ham or turkey ham)
- 4 slices of gouda cheese and or cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- In a bowl, beat eggs and milk, season with a little salt and granulated garlic or garlic powder if using; set aside
- Mean while, Spread cream cheese on slices of bread
- Lay 2 slices on a plate on bread board then top each slice with 2 slices of cheese then 2 slices of slices of cooked spam (or ham), top wth 2 more slices of cheese and lastly the slice bread. Press down on the sandwich to flatten it.
- Heat a pan or griddle on medium heat, add butter or oil when it gets hot
- Dip the sandwich in the egg mixture then fry until brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a serving platter..slice each sandwich in half and drool on that melted cheese coming out of it :P
- Click, post and Enjoy! LOL. Be careful it's hot :)