Make use of your over-ripe bananas with this delicious banana cake, the crumble topping is optional as the cake is already delicious as it is. To be honest, I don’t make the crumble topping anymore because it’s quite messy to eat and I hate cleaning up the crumb-trail my kids leave when they eat this, aside from this little inconvenience though, the crumble is really good; it gives this plain yet very delish cake an added “yummy-ness” if you will. This recipe is quite easy and well-worth the trouble making it.
BANANA LOAF CAKE
with crumble topping
3 -4 very ripe bananas (about 300g when peeled), mashed
1/4 cup milk
1 1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
4 1/2 oz butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Crumble Topping: (optional)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
Heat the oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour, OR line the bottom of a 9×5 inch (900g) loaf tin (for easier release of the cake).
Mix the mashed bananas together with the milk and set aside. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside as well. Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated. Add the banana/milk mixture and the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Fold in the flour a 1in 3 batches until well incorporated. Pour batter into the prepared tin and spread evenly. Make the crumble by combining ingredients with a fork, then spread evenly on top of the batter.
Bake for 45 minutes then turn the oven down to 325F and cook for a further 15 minutes until thecake is done, insert a toothpick, it should come out clean. Be careful not to burn your topping if using (I almost did).
Let cool on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
Banana Loaf Cake with Crumble Topping
- 3 -4 VERY RIPE BANANAS ABOUT 300G WHEN PEELED, MASHED
- 1/4 CUP MILK
- 1 1/3 CUP PLAIN FLOUR
- 1/2 TSP SALT
- 3/4 TSP BAKING SODA
- 1 1/2 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 4 1/2 OZ BUTTER
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 2 LARGE EGGS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
- CRUMBLE TOPPING: OPTIONAL
- 1/2 CUP SUGAR
- 3/4 CUP Flour
- 1/2 CUP BUTTER
- HEAT THE OVEN TO 350F DEGREES. GREASE AND FLOUR, OR LINE THE BOTTOM OF A 9×5 INCH (900G) LOAF TIN (FOR EASIER RELEASE OF THE CAKE).
- MIX THE MASHED BANANAS TOGETHER WITH THE MILK AND SET ASIDE. WHISK TOGETHER THE FLOUR, SALT, BAKING SODA AND BAKING POWDER. SET ASIDE AS WELL. BEAT THE BUTTER AND SUGAR TOGETHER UNTIL LIGHT AND CREAMY. ADD THE EGGS, ONE AT A TIME UNTIL FULLY INCORPORATED. ADD THE BANANA/MILK MIXTURE AND THE VANILLA EXTRACT AND STIR TO COMBINE. FOLD IN THE FLOUR A 1IN 3 BATCHES UNTIL WELL INCORPORATED. POUR BATTER INTO THE PREPARED TIN AND SPREAD EVENLY. MAKE THE CRUMBLE BY COMBINING INGREDIENTS WITH A FORK, THEN SPREAD EVENLY ON TOP OF THE BATTER.
- BAKE FOR 45 MINUTES THEN TURN THE OVEN DOWN TO 325F AND COOK FOR A FURTHER 15 MINUTES UNTIL THECAKE IS DONE, INSERT A TOOTHPICK, IT SHOULD COME OUT CLEAN. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOUR TOPPING IF USING (I ALMOST DID).
- LET COOL ON A WIRE RACK BEFORE REMOVING FROM THE TIN.