I love Paula Deen, she’s so nice and familiar like a mom or an aunt. If I get to have another mom in addition to my own or an extra aunt, I’ll ask Paula Deen to be that. This is her recipe for a delicious, crispy and juicy chicken like we all love ( I’ve never met a person who doesn’t like fried chicken). This recipe is a keeper; her house seasoning recipe can be used on just about anything except desserts of course.
SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN
1/3 cup water
About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House seasoning, recipe follows
1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Paula Deen's Southern Fried Chicken
- 3 EGGS
- 1/3 CUP WATER
- ABOUT 1 CUP HOT RED PEPPER SAUCE RECOMMENDED: TEXAS PETE
- 2 CUPS SELF-RISING FLOUR
- 1 TEASPOON PEPPER
- HOUSE SEASONING RECIPE FOLLOWS
- 1 1 TO 2 1/2-POUND CHICKEN, CUT INTO PIECES
- OIL FOR FRYING, PREFERABLY PEANUT OIL
- HOUSE SEASONING:
- 1 CUP SALT
- 1/4 CUP BLACK PEPPER
- 1/4 CUP GARLIC POWDER
- IN A MEDIUM SIZE BOWL, BEAT THE EGGS WITH THE WATER. ADD ENOUGH HOT SAUCE SO THE EGG MIXTURE IS BRIGHT ORANGE. IN ANOTHER BOWL, COMBINE THE FLOUR AND PEPPER. SEASON THE CHICKEN WITH THE HOUSE SEASONING. DIP THE SEASONED CHICKEN IN THE EGG, AND THEN COAT WELL IN THE FLOUR MIXTURE.
- HEAT THE OIL TO 350 DEGREES F IN A DEEP POT. DO NOT FILL THE POT MORE THAN 1/2 FULL WITH OIL.
- FRY THE CHICKEN IN THE OIL UNTIL BROWN AND CRISP. DARK MEAT TAKES LONGER THEN WHITE MEAT. IT SHOULD TAKE DARK MEAT ABOUT 13 TO 14 MINUTES, WHITE MEAT AROUND 8 TO 10 MINUTES.
- HOUSE SEASONING:
- MIX INGREDIENTS TOGETHER AND STORE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS.